Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese Food
I adore sweet and sour chicken balls with boiled rice, but it must be so fattening that I refuse to look at the calorie content - its a rare treat anyway

We lost our favorite sit-down Chinese place recently, too. We were such regulars there that they referred to my dude and me by our drinks "Blue Hawaii" and "Vanilla Vodka"

matty7 Wrote:I adore sweet and sour chicken balls with boiled rice, but it must be so fattening that I refuse to look at the calorie content - its a rare treat anyway

You can make sweet and sour much healthier by not deep frying in the chicken in batter but to coat with cornflour and then pan fry it. Same old sauce so should taste the same albeit a different texture.

Not sure they the take away or the restaurant would do that tho.

LOL...I just thought of another weird thing I have with Chinese Food....

The chefs HAVE TO BE CHINESE!!!!!! I have a problem if the chefs are not Chinese...I dislike Chinese food made by non Chinese people LOL...It could be a mental block from bad experiences I suppose but I don't care enough to get past it...

Another thing...the more fishtanks with fish you can eat they have..the better the restaurant....

I was in Sacramento one night a few years ago and I found a hotbed of big Chinese Restaurants (I assume they had regular banquet/wedding parties)....and so these three in a row..I checked them out and chose the one with the most fishtanks...a whole room full of them off to the side in the front...

The chef was a true culinary genius...some of the best Chinese food/fish I have ever had...

I just started eating at some of the Asian fusion restaurants too. A lady I am friendly with for years...she comes in my store and I came to the restaurant she worked at and we talk a lot...well...she opened her own restaurant after going back to Hong Kong for a year and it is a mix of Thai/Chinese/Korean and Vietnamese...and the first thing she brought me was the pineapple chicken fried rice served in a hollowed out pineapple ...OMG...soooooo good...the entire meal was perfect.... and the flavors were crazy good....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9Dz3rBbcQveFg7IHWtCV...FR4pQliWrx]

[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]

What if the Chinese person who is cooking it grew up in the west and is more western that asian? We called them bananas in the world of 3rd culture kids. Yellow on the outside and white on the inside.....

Rareboy Wrote:* Raises Hand*

We love Chinese food ....but like you...only good, fresh Chinese food. (particlularly Szechuan) We've had a couple of go-to restaurants over the years but they have all closed as the 'All you can eat' mediocre buffet restaurants take their business. Even in Toronto it is harder to find really great Chinese restaurants now and out here in the wilds.......help!!! There is one that has opened in a village nearby and if they don't rely on pre-made shit like many of them do now....we'll give it a try.

YES...fresh is sooooooooooooooo important I think...and good quality.....

I feel your pain about the lack of restaurants...when I was in Mississippi I don't think I saw any Chinese Restaurants (or any Asians now that I think about it)....

In the Bay Area...San Francisco and Silicon Valley...we have a very large Asian population and a lot of really good restaurants to choose from...but we also have those nasty tacky buffets that some people seem to like for reasons that escape me.

ck86 Wrote:[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]

What if the Chinese person who is cooking it grew up in the west and is more western that asian? We called them bananas in the world of 3rd culture kids. Yellow on the outside and white on the inside.....

It depends on who taught them.....

My best friend now is Japanese and his Mom and Dad are both from Japan...and he is Americanized to the hilt BUT he makes kick ass Japanese food...

...same with my Chinese best friend growing up...VERY western but his mom and dad were very traditional Chinese....

...so yeah....good point....I guess maybe I would give them a break if they are one or two generations in...after that...eh... I would have to wait and see......

I remember this one Chinese restaurant had one Anglo and two Latin cooks...I hated everything they made. None of the flavors were there...very disappointing...and probably serve as the foundation for my opinion.

East Wrote:It depends on who taught them.....

My best friend now is Japanese and his Mom and Dad are both from Japan...and he is Americanized to the hilt BUT he makes kick ass Japanese food...

...same with my Chinese best friend growing up...VERY western but his mom and dad were very traditional Chinese....

...so yeah....good point....I guess maybe I would give them a break if they are one or two generations in...after that...eh... I would have to wait and see......

I remember this one Chinese restaurant had one Anglo and two Latin cooks...I hated everything they made. None of the flavors were there...very disappointing...and probably serve as the foundation for my opinion.

I agree. The authentic ones are the best. 👍

East Wrote:The one thing I hate...Buffets with pre-made food...BARF...and when they fry up meat in little balls and dump sweet and sour sauce on it...BARF again.....

Right now my favorite is Sizzling Rice Soup and Shredded Pork with Spicy Garlic Sauce

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR_irjUYXzZHXdsQgUxNE...wxtcSHbnu3]

that thing looks like it's alive....

i don't think i've ever had genuine Chinese food. i've only had that 'barf' kind (don't know if it was pre-made). some of it was okay, don't get me wrong. but it was some Chinese ''restaurant'' in Europe run by Europeans and the food made by European cooks....i don't think that qualifies as Chinese food. or maybe it does. my experience with Chinese food is very very scarce, so i don't really know. all i know, is the only Chinese stuff i've eaten was not made by Chinese, and it didn't leave a lasting impression. it's good for a change though.

edit: read some posts and i DO NOT eat seafood. yuck! i don't know how many Chinese dishes are made of seafood, but...yuck, vomit.....if most Chinese stuff is made of that i'll keep my distance.

i also don't eat rice. so the noodle stuff is practically the only thing i could eat...unless there's something else i'm missing here... maybe there's a reason i've has so little contact with this particular cuisine.

I tend to like the Americanized Chinese food, General Tso's chicken. Smile
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!