Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cholesterol and Statins
Something I have been a bit curious about lately and done some looking into but seems that statin drugs are the number one prescribed medication in the US, UK and pretty much the most widely used medication of all time. Apparently everyone has high cholesterol or has risk factors. So I dug into things a little bit... One thing is that it is clear that the pharmaceuticals have it made.... 8 of the 9 board members who decided what levels of LDL are considered high had ties back to the manufacturers of the statin drugs... Also that the side effects are under reported and insidious since they often take months or years to appear.

The other thing is that the statins do their work high up in the HMG-CoA pathway and it is not just the production of cholesterol that you're reducing... CoQ10 is one of many different enzymes that the liver produces that becomes inhibited...

The other thing that comes into question is how effective statins really are at preventing what they're supposed to help prevent which is heart disease... I'd say in the end they're not, because it hasn't kept people alive longer, people are still dying from heart disease, having heart attacks and strokes and I don't think cholesterol is hardly the whole story... I feel that is simply food we eat and that we eat too much of it and then we're more and more sedentary. I think that has the most impact over our health...

Not trying to convince anyone that there is foul play at work with pharmaceutical companies (there is but...). I am curious to hear what other think about there mere facts that so many people are taking these drugs and those who had side effects and other issues surrounding "high" cholesterol.

Anyway, most of the opposition DO have something they want to sell you, like a natural cure exists. I did come across an excerpt that was a more down to the finer points...

Anyway, I don't think that there is a magical diet for the most part... I do think we're far better off eating less and definitely taking in less sugar... If there's anything that holds true is that sugar seems to be culprit in just about any chronic disease...

Anyway, like to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I have always said the only stupid question is the question you don't ask.

Well done on the research and revealing something that really doesn't surprise me. Pharmaceuticals have too much influence because they keep creating mythical illnesses that need to be cured.

It is also a reflection on how sheepish most people have become. The propaganda (News) tells you heart disease is on the increase. Most people respond with 'Oh that's terrible, we need to fix that.'

Not enough people think '100 years ago the average life expectancy was 50 years, today it is closer to 80 years.' and that in itself means that parts simply just stop working as they should.

BUT then again, do all the drugs they want us to take for mythical diseases preserving life or creating other problems then need to be cured?

Nothing to be profited from a healthy person right?

There is much controversy about statin drugs and some people can't take them because of side effects, such as severe leg cramps. Also, it's possible to have heart disease while having good lipid levels.

deephiance Wrote:I have always said the only stupid question is the question you don't ask.

Well done on the research and revealing something that really doesn't surprise me. Pharmaceuticals have too much influence because they keep creating mythical illnesses that need to be cured.

It is also a reflection on how sheepish most people have become. The propaganda (News) tells you heart disease is on the increase. Most people respond with 'Oh that's terrible, we need to fix that.'

Not enough people think '100 years ago the average life expectancy was 50 years, today it is closer to 80 years.' and that in itself means that parts simply just stop working as they should.

BUT then again, do all the drugs they want us to take for mythical diseases preserving life or creating other problems then need to be cured?

Nothing to be profited from a healthy person right?

Another made up illness is GERD... You get heartburn when you eat crap all the time and something else I'm trying to get away from too...

Not sure if this is true or not but somewhere I read or heard that the life expectancy has gone up mainly due to the decrease of infant mortality... I'll have to look into that, because I do know that there are plenty of people who lived to be very old back in the day but yes generally speaking due to modern technology, medicine and hygiene we are living longer. We're also much more health conscious than before... Might be stepping into a new era of health with everyone wearing heart rate monitors and tracking everything they do...

Darius Wrote:There is much controversy about statin drugs and some people can't take them because of side effects, such as severe leg cramps. Also, it's possible to have heart disease while having good lipid levels.

Well I can't with 100% certainty but I was put on two drugs, one that was supposed to help with anxiety and the other was a statin...Had the worst weekend ever. Funny thing is the drug for anxiety was the same crap that made me sick a few years ago but insisted I try it again... Perhaps I need to seek out a new doctor. I do get that most will push for statins. At any rate if I can stick to eating better foods I will probably be alright. I am one of those people who inhale their food...which is bad because it makes it very easy for me to eat way too much and still feel hungry...

Anyway... I don't feel that I am so unhealthy that I need to be taking anything that messes with all that... Even taking supplements can screw around with liver enzymes...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Big Pharma, Bad Karma

YO HO!!! with merry absoluteness!!!

Believe me, I know. I take 14 medications each day and more than one dose of several of them.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:YO HO!!! with merry absoluteness!!!

Believe me, I know. I take 14 medications each day and more than one dose of several of them.

Is that you vouching for or against? lol "YO HO" doesn't do it for me...
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]InbetweenDreams[/MENTION], offering affirmation to [MENTION=24253]Zen[/MENTION]'s post: "Big Pharma, Bad Karma."

While I acknowledge that many good things have come from pharmaceuticals, the BIG business side of it is NOT a good thing.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:[MENTION=23180]InbetweenDreams[/MENTION], offering affirmation to [MENTION=24253]Zen[/MENTION]'s post: "Big Pharma, Bad Karma."

While I acknowledge that many good things have come from pharmaceuticals, the BIG business side of it is NOT a good thing.

I think that is a reasonable position. I do think there are times when things like statins should be prescribed such as those who have familial hypercholesterolemia...but I think for the most part it is over prescribed, such as in my case... I think GP need to push harder on diet and lifestyle versus oh just take the pill... My GP honestly seems like she could care less, I have about 10-15 minutes with her every 6 months and it is always a rush job...
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]InbetweenDreams[/MENTION], so get a new GP, make a list of questions to ask during the appointment and ask how to follow up if anything comes to mind between visits. Make sure you ask for copies of lab work and a report on the visit. At the very least a nurse should call you after the visit to give you results. YOU are the one in charge of your care. Don't let the doctor forget that. It is possible to be nice but insistent.
I bid NO Trump!