Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose Your Favorite Pro-War Candidate - by John Pilger
Except it should have read Pitt's Tories not Walpole's since Walpole was a Whig.

As an American, I don't understand everything you're talking about, but from what I learned in High School European History: Oliver Cromwell was a religious fanatic who (as OrphsnPip mentions above) shut down the theatres and banned things like celebrating Christmas, until the British people hah had enough. He's hardy a national fugue to revere. Correct me if I'm wrong, as in the U.S. we receive ten times the Amount of American History, as world history, and European history has been further marginalized as schools don't want to seem too "Euro-Cenrtic" (AKA: white).

Almac Wrote:Now why would you hate an English National hero..?

because im a celtic man - Cornish and welsh -i dont know -maybe part Irish

do the welsh hate him? i bet they do-the welsh hate everyone

he was a prick -he burnt the irish harps i think and slaughtered the irish

queen Elizabeth the first did the same -she was creepy

mary queen of Scots sucks as well

but im not Catholic

cromwell? wasnt he a damn war monger?i think he was

he was a staid Puritan prick

doubt if he was gay
igive me king edward the 2nd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Dr..._prisoners

War is a pastime of humans, who have a small talent for war.

The US Government has found that 'war' and 'police actions' is an affective way to win short term goals.

Understand that politicians are only in it for the short term. Few are interested in what happens after they are in office, fewer still care about anything more than securing their job for the next term. Thus they turn to 'fast' tactics to 'win' in politics, be it warfare or some other 'shock and awe' tactic.

Most of the issues we face where we send out the troops really require long term commitment with peaceful actions - something that few politicians are willing and able to do.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Most of the issues we face where we send out the troops really require long term commitment with peaceful actions - something that few politicians are willing and able to do.

If your term of office is 6 years or less, long-term commitment is luxury you cannot afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

so a few of you did read the whole article?

i think it says a lot and truth you seldom hear on liberal talk radio
gingrich pushed for the welfare reform clinton signed it

kerry voted for it

we keep voting these creeps back in

i cant stand Gingrich

clinton is a warmonger-he is such a bastard worse than bush

"liberals"who like him make me sick

what an inspiring forum

im insulted on Christmas day by poster east-i have him on ignore

i hate the Lily tomlin picture anyway

then im listed as crazy poster

ive found out-gays bully gays as well

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:War is a pastime of humans, who have a small talent for war.

The US Government has found that 'war' and 'police actions' is an affective way to win short term goals.

Understand that politicians are only in it for the short term. Few are interested in what happens after they are in office, fewer still care about anything more than securing their job for the next term. Thus they turn to 'fast' tactics to 'win' in politics, be it warfare or some other 'shock and awe' tactic.

Most of the issues we face where we send out the troops really require long term commitment with peaceful actions - something that few politicians are willing and able to do.

Largely I agree with your statement. Yet, there are certain instances where war was the result of failed attempts at diplomacy followed by years of commitment . . . Japan would definitely be an example of that.

Also, the expediency of war as you described above is by no means unique to our own government or our particular part of history. War has been used similarly for centuries if not millennia.

why there is war is a big subject

medieval knights would have nothing to do and pick on villagers i think

the fact that some candidates will speak out against Clinton war mongering on Serbs and others will enthusiastically agree with him , causes me to vote for a peace candidate

some say he did it to get the headlines off monica lewisky

if serbs really killed 8000 men and boys i dont know but all sides maybe did bad and that doesnt give nato/usa the right to bomb