Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity and grindr ??
Playing the religion card never fails to get a reaction amongst us. I'm guessing this is because sexuality and spirituality are both a part of our core identity. When there is conflict between them, there is drama.

LeedsLad, there's certainly no transgression if you want to use Grindr to "just chat and meet new people and fellow Christians." It's what you might then want to do with those fellow Christian grindr lads that could stray into the realm of sin.

I do not believe in sin or evil. There are certainly immoral acts, but I don't think these exist in privacy between consenting adults. The Bible does not help us in such fine points of the human experience.

Gay Christians have a challenge of identity or a challenge of interpretation. As has been pointed out already, if you want a different interpretation of the Bible or Christianity, there are many denominations, sects, etc. from which to choose. Thank God!

dvdbwn Wrote:i am just dumbfounded at the intolerance and judgmental attitude...
it goes both ways, really you cant love all gods creations. Its life boo and there are those deal breakers.
anyways the OP asked me to elaborate my thoughts.

Why do you need religion to tell you what your morals and ethics are?

from a christian perspective there are hundreds of things that are sinful and shameful and done all the time by even the most devout monk/priest.

its just that in the modern day they aren't considered the same as they once were.

In the old time when people had no education and didn't know better religion was the only way to teach people right from wrong.

That is no longer the case, so unless you can't weigh up the good and the bad yourself, why no make up your own mind?

LeedsLad90 Wrote:Hello guys

... but what are the views around such things like grindr etc from a christain view point ?...

Thanks guys

You're the christian, why don't you tell us? This is a gay message board, guess what our collective field of expertise is? There are christians on here, they bring it up when it's relevant or interesting but never have they asked advice about how their christianity should inform their behaviour. That would be the point of a religious belief, it informs your attitudes and behaviour and saves you the trouble of asking around for views on those issues.

You've posted three times, twice to start threads and tell us you're christian. Apart from starting them you've made very little contribution.

Lots of people on here can relate fascinating, harrowing or amusing stories about coming out. Time for you to come out, you're witnessing aren't you? You don't actually care what anyone thinks, you're just collecting celestial brownie points for making your mark here.

Pix Wrote:^^

It could be the part of Christianity of not judging ("lest ye be judged"). And Jesus hung with prostitutes & tax collectors as well as coming to the defense of an adulteress.

Of course plenty of Christians are judgmental (and they'll condemn you for using Grindr at all, or even if you were fairly puritan yet still gay, and they'll forgive a man for molesting little girls easier than a man who has consensual sex with another man, I even read an evangelical preacher's wife say that in an interview).

Of course there are like a thousand forms of Christianity with widely disparate beliefs (each treating the Bible as a cafe that they take what they want and leave the rest, though of course they all claim to be fully aligned with the Bible, which is impossible unless you take the Bible as completely metaphorical and "more a suggestion to be used with common sense"). Which flavor is yours?

That's exactly how I treat it! Times change, and you have to live your life but the bible does teach lessons in a way, and there's nothing wrong with believing in that message. It's when you use it to provoke, threaten, and judge others that you use the book and take it's meaning completely out of context. Simply stating that though. But I agree, if you feel that you're using Grindr in a way that doesn't violate your views then I don't see why it should bother you. Not everyone on there is looking for hookup but a vast majority are.