Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cinema Dates
Hi,
I have just found out a guy that i have a crush on is gay.
So if perchance he accepts when I ask him out....
Is the cinema a good place to go?
If it is, what films would you think?

We both like romance, like action and all!
What you all think?
-SparklySean

I personally think the cinemas the worst place to go on a first date, to sit in silence for 90 minutes and possibly watch a film you don't even enjoy, its a surefire way to learn absolutely nothing about the person you'd like to get to know, rather you get to know some piece of made-up crap fiction that has no relevance to your life. Then you come out all stiff (no pun) and with a headache.

tavi Wrote:I personally think the cinemas the worst place to go on a first date, to sit in silence for 90 minutes and possibly watch a film you don't even enjoy, its a surefire way to learn absolutely nothing about the person you'd like to get to know, rather you get to know some piece of made-up crap fiction that has no relevance to your life. Then you come out all stiff (no pun) and with a headache.

Okay thanks

I don't know that the cinema is a bad idea. After all you hardly know each other. I think going out to a movie, as you would with a friend, is fairly innocuous. In fact, what you'd need to follow up with is a "debriefing", of sorts, in a coffee shop or bar, or an eating place after the film. Go and find some place to grab something to eat, see if you want to do this again, and learn what you can about each other. What's more, if you've enjoyed the experience, there's nothing to stop you doing it again.

As for the film to go and see, I would do the inviting, but let the person choose, and would go along as long as I wanted to see the film too. You can settle for a film that will be middle of the ground in any case, but if you two have similar tastes, there's no reason why you shouldn't find something you both enjoy.

I don't think I would agree with the first poster, although, of course, I come from a different angle: that of making friends at first. If you sense that the film is making you both uncomfortable, then feel free to leave the theatre and carry on as planned, to grab a drink or a bite to eat, and then have a conversation about how bad the film was... lol. Hopefully, you'll both enjoy the film and the company.
By starting to make small compromises (which doesn't mean going to see a film HE wants to see but you don't), I think you're getting into the realities of a common life. It is often helpful to know how to seek one's partner's approval, rather than laying down one's law. If you see what I mean.

When I read the title, I thought this was about sex cinemas.

They were very popular back in the 90s.

I only went once to one of those love temples. The guys were all middle aged freaks, there were drug addicts everywhere and the whole theatre smelled like piss.

My kind of place. Smile

I don't think a cinema would be bad at all as long as it isn't the only thing you do. Maybe get some food after the show. You two would have a mutual topic (the movie) while you eat. First dates are all about finding common interests and I think a movie is a good place to start.

I tend to think that going to a movie would be fine so long as that's not all that you're doing. In fact, the movie could be a good conversation starter for dinner or something afterwards, especially if you and the other person are film buffs or something. If you just go to the movie together and then both go home, yeah, that's kind of pointless, but paired with something else, I think it's totally fine. I'm a cinephile so I love going to the movies, and I personally would be more than happy to go to a show with a guy to start out a date.

did the movies on a first date... had to push a guy away from kissing me and dinner afterwards was awkward...