Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classical music thread
princealbertofb Wrote:Richard The Lyonheart, when he was with us, would post a lot of classical music Youtubes and threads...; http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=12544 See for yourself, maybe there'll be something you enjoy in this long thread.

Thanks Princealbert. I see that is is an old thread so no wonder that I didn't know about it.

Interestingly I see that there's a question about what is your favourite piece of music. That would be a question impossible for me to answer. My musical taste is very eclectic and in any case, it's a bit like asking which is better, Beethoven's 9th of Bach's Brandenburg concertos? Both are the works of geniuses, both stand in their own right.

Re your comment about classical pieces being used in advertising. No, we can't help it but for me it is annoying. I have ordered the CD of the two Mozart piano concertos played by Jan Lisiecki but it it irritating to me that the 21st is referred to as the "Elvira Madigan" simply because the slow movement was used in that film. Mozart wrote the 21st in 1786 and the wretched film dates from only 1967 and yet the name for some reason or other, has stuck.

Part of the popularisation of just pieces of complete works must be put at the door of such radio stations like Classic FM that will only play the "popular" bits of certain works. Some will say that it helps those who are not knowledgeable start to appreciate classical music but it's a bit like only reading part of a book, one doesn't understand the whole context. If you only like and listen to "Vissi d'arte", how can you understand why Tosca sings with such passion?

artyboy Wrote:

NIce! But to really appreciate it you should hear it on a very LARGE pipe organ, Preferably in person.

One of my favourite composers is Bach.

I especially enjoy Toccata and Fugue in D Miner for the Organ. It's a fantastic piece to listen to on TV, Radio or recording but is absolutely amazing when heard live!

I know you're probably sick of it by now, but here's another version of T+F in d on a huge organ in CT.....actually, this is where I take organ lessons.
The IV-137 in the title means that the organ has 4 keyboards +pedal board and 137 sets of pipes....so about 8000 pipes

Oh, can I join? I know I'm biased, being Classically Trained and all *brag brag* tehe ^o^

This is actually what I want to do with my life, this Video sums it up pretty well.

The Beloved Pachebel' s Canon in D Major, otherwise known by some to be the Wedding March.

My Baby Daddy Bach and his Cello Suite Prelude No.1 played by the Pedagogue and Virtuoso, Yo-Yo Ma

And of course the famous song, A Whole New World, from Aladdin.

Yes, I do love string Musix lol. But I love all other kinds too. Especially one's with a French Horn, the Brass cousin of the Viola and Oboes, the Wind cousin.

Chris D, let us see your Clarinet Playing Sis, perhaps Tchaikovsky' s 1812 Overture Solo for Piccolo, but just move those sharps sweets (unless you're playing Bb, then just play an Octave Lower.)

More to come lovers Wink

As someone who recently has become a huge fan of music and who wants to have basic experience from all genres, could someone help me out on where to even start with Classical music? I have no idea where to "jump in" so to speak. Help? :c

Like I said I've got Beethoven and Chopin reasonably covered, other than that I'm a complete noob.

SolemnBoy Wrote:As someone who recently has become a huge fan of music and who wants to have basic experience from all genres, could someone help me out on where to even start with Classical music? I have no idea where to "jump in" so to speak. Help? :c

Like I said I've got Beethoven and Chopin reasonably covered, other than that I'm a complete noob.

Well Hunni, Tchaikovsky to me is a very good place to start. In fact, you probably have already heard his works and never knew it.

Swan Lake, Beauty and the Beast, The Nut Cracker Suite, The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, The Dance of the Reed Pipes, The 1812 Overture or as some know it as the "Racehorse Theme".

Not to mention he's one of the very few known gay Composers of historical note.

Bach's Six Cello Suites are also glorious. I've only learned 3 on the Viola, but they are spectacular.

Mozart' s Dies Irae, Requiem of the Dead, which he wrote as he was dying and never finished it, but was later finished by his pupil.

Puccini' s Madame Butterfly, which is an Opera, comprising of a very beautiful Aria.

There's so many options young pedawan ^o^ .

Nearly every cartoon' s music was/is played by an Orchestra, especially a lot of Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo episodes, so are Classical in essence.

QueenOdi Wrote:Well Hunni, Tchaikovsky to me is a very good place to start. In fact, you probably have already heard his works and never knew it.

Swan Lake, Beauty and the Beast, The Nut Cracker Suite, The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, The Dance of the Reed Pipes, The 1812 Overture or as some know it as the "Racehorse Theme".

Not to mention he's one of the very few known gay Composers of historical note.

Bach's Six Cello Suites are also glorious. I've only learned 3 on the Viola, but they are spectacular.

Mozart' s Dies Irae, Requiem of the Dead, which he wrote as he was dying and never finished it, but was later finished by his pupil.

Puccini' s Madame Butterfly, which is an Opera, comprising of a very beautiful Aria.

There's so many options young pedawan ^o^ .

Nearly every cartoon' s music was/is played by an Orchestra, especially a lot of Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo episodes, so are Classical in essence.

I've heard Swan Lake and The Nut Cracker Suite, maybe a few other ones that I didn't know the names of. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out! Smile

Wow, just re-read the thread and saw like three more Toccata & Fugue's... all on organ xD

So, no love for the violin version then? I just thought it was interesting to hear it played a little different Laugh

Ooh, had no idea Tchaikovsky was gay QueenOdi. Or that he composed Beauty and the Beast. Shall have to check that out Smile

kidchameleon Wrote:Ooh, had no idea Tchaikovsky was gay QueenOdi. Or that he composed Beauty and the Beast. Shall have to check that out Smile

Yes gurl, he was a friend of Dorothy before Dorothy was even born! Lol

Though they say he killed himself through the self infliction of Cholera because of it, however that remains unknown.

Please do check it out Hunni! It'll bless your life Sis. I got 2 Huge Music Theory, Appreciation and Composition books and the stuff he did was pretty great. Also, he did not write Beauty and the Beast, but wrote The Sleeping Beauty, in which Beauty and the Beast uses it as a theme. Oops Wink

Also, another Russian, Igor Stravinsky, who infamously had a rollercoaster life in regards to his avant-garde style and the "all over the place"ness of it composed the Firebird Ballat and The Rite of Spring, which Chris D may really like, as it emphasizes Wind instruments like nobodies business.

A flapping Bassoon went an Octave I believe out of it's range, creating a "ghostly whistle/wail" right in the beginning.(or very soon in, I haven't listened to it in awhile)'