Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classical music thread
QueenOdi Wrote:Chris D, let us see your Clarinet Playing Sis, perhaps Tchaikovsky' s 1812 Overture Solo for Piccolo, but just move those sharps sweets (unless you're playing Bb, then just play an Octave Lower.)

I play Bb, but I suck at it. The only thing I can do on clarinet is sight-read and transpose. That's about it. No, I ain't a true band geek, I'm a die-hard organist (do with that what you may.)
So if I can actually pull the mess I'm working on together into something worth recording I'll post something, maybe on the same organ that is in the Bach video I posted.

QueenOdi Wrote:Well Hunni, Tchaikovsky to me is a very good place to start. In fact, you probably have already heard his works and never knew it.

Swan Lake, Beauty and the Beast, The Nut Cracker Suite, The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, The Dance of the Reed Pipes, The 1812 Overture or as some know it as the "Racehorse Theme".

Not to mention he's one of the very few known gay Composers of historical note.

Bach's Six Cello Suites are also glorious. I've only learned 3 on the Viola, but they are spectacular.

Mozart' s Dies Irae, Requiem of the Dead, which he wrote as he was dying and never finished it, but was later finished by his pupil.

Puccini' s Madame Butterfly, which is an Opera, comprising of a very beautiful Aria.

There's so many options young pedawan ^o^ .

Nearly every cartoon' s music was/is played by an Orchestra, especially a lot of Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo episodes, so are Classical in essence.

Solemboy, I think that some of your suggestion, especially the Bach cello suits, might be a bit too difficult for someone just starting out on classical music. I remember the Jules Dassin character in "Never on Sunday" trying those out on Melina Mercouri.

I like to make some suggestions of some pieces that I think are a little more approchable. In no particular order:

Aaron Copeland: Appalachian Spring, Billly the Kid, Clarinet concerto, The Red Pony.

Vaughn Williams: Variations on a theme of Thomas Tallis

As much as I dislike it myself: Vivaldi: The Four Seasons (it's fun and easy for beginners)

Stravinski: The Firebird, The Rite of Spring

Rimsky Korsakov: Sheherazade

I'll add more as I think of them.

Hi Odi
I don't seem to be able to do quotes on my tablet, so this one goes back a bit,

Madam butterfly...Ah yes... but don't overlook "the humming chorus"

Trial by error

ChrisD Wrote:I play Bb, but I suck at it. The only thing I can do on clarinet is sight-read and transpose. That's about it. No, I ain't a true band geek, I'm a die-hard organist (do with that what you may.)
So if I can actually pull the mess I'm working on together into something worth recording I'll post something, maybe on the same organ that is in the Bach video I posted.

You don't suck pumpkin...you blow :p

Well, I wanna see some Organ playing Missus, so don't keep me waiting Big Grin .

But I wonder what it is you are working on?

I'm curious ^o^ . I hope you can do Portamento on dem keys (or do Organists employ Glissando instead?... can't remember)

~

But Londoner Hunni, The Cello Suites are easy to understand. I had the play the Prelude, Allemande and Sarabande for one of my early grade exams, on Cello though.

All SB lover has to do is sit and listen to a song to see if he likes it. I just gave him some of my favs, which besides Mozart, are pretty basic.

Odi
Just a quickie..... :biggrin:

That humming chorus, ever heard it performed on violins?

I think that would be stunning

Trial

One of my all time favorite classical pieces is Kill the Wabbit.

Xyxthumbs

LONDONER Wrote:Solemboy, I think that some of your suggestion, especially the Bach cello suits, might be a bit too difficult for someone just starting out on classical music. I remember the Jules Dassin character in "Never on Sunday" trying those out on Melina Mercouri.

I like to make some suggestions of some pieces that I think are a little more approchable. In no particular order:

Aaron Copeland: Appalachian Spring, Billly the Kid, Clarinet concerto, The Red Pony.

Vaughn Williams: Variations on a theme of Thomas Tallis

As much as I dislike it myself: Vivaldi: The Four Seasons (it's fun and easy for beginners)

Stravinski: The Firebird, The Rite of Spring

Rimsky Korsakov: Sheherazade

I'll add more as I think of them.

I'd throw in Bedrich Smetana's Ma Vlast and Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition as they're particularly exciting and easily digestible.

And if anyone wants to start listening to Bach, then I think his Piano Concerto no. 1 is a good place to start.

QueenOdi Wrote:But Londoner Hunni, The Cello Suites are easy to understand. I had the play the Prelude, Allemande and Sarabande for one of my early grade exams, on Cello though.

They may be easy for you QueenOdi because you play the cello but I still maintain that they are a bit hard going for a beginner. Anyway, let SB be the judge.

[quote=Wade]I'd throw in Bedrich Smetana's Ma Vlast and Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition as they're particularly exciting and easily digestible.

And if anyone wants to start listening to Bach, then I think his Piano Concerto no. 1 is a good place to start.

.My suggestions are not based necessarily on music that I like but on what I consider would be easy for a beginner

To which I would add: Carnival of the Animals particularly the version by Renaud Capuçon and Gautier Capuçon available on Virgin Classics. This is an extremely good version and the only one that I have come across where they play "Pianistses" correctly. It is supposed to represent two children practising scales and most pianists play it absolutely straight and thus miss the humour completely. Renaud Capuçon and Gautier Capuçon play it stumbling and almost making mistakes. It is hilarious.

LONDONER Wrote:My suggestions are not based necessarily on music that I like but on what I consider would be easy for a beginner

I kept that in mind when making my suggestions. I admit I do like those pieces, but I think they're good for beginners. Perhaps I'd edit Ma Vlast down to only include Die Moldau. I also chose them because SolemnBoy mentioned he likes Chopin and Beethoven, so I picked things I thought might appeal to that Romantic, pretty/dramatic sound. (which reminds me... Debussy.) This is just my own opinion of what I think would strongly strike a beginner.

LONDONER Wrote:To which I would add: Carnival of the Animals particularly the version by Renaud Capuçon and Gautier Capuçon available on Virgin Classics. This is an extremely good version and the only one that I have come across where they play "Pianistses" correctly. It is supposed to represent two children practising scales and most pianists play it absolutely straight and thus miss the humour completely. Renaud Capuçon and Gautier Capuçon play it stumbling and almost making mistakes. It is hilarious. [/FONT]

The Carnival of Animals is a great inclusion. I've never listened to that version. I have the 1990 recording of the Czechoslovak Radio Symphony Orchestra with Marian Lapsansky and Peter Topoczer on piano, and it is played very straight. I now feel compelled to check out the Capucon version.