Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classroom activities
deejayarens Wrote:How about discover an indie artist as one of the items?

Very interesting indeed, I'll definitely give this some thought.

Thanks for the tip!

I'm not sure if this helps, but whenever our chemistry teacher see's us slaking she blasts justin bieber songs....

My ears have not yet recovered.

MisterLove Wrote:Thanks, sweetie. Kiss3

Now imagine this: you take the worst students and put them all in one class. It sounds crazy, doesn't it? Well, that's what I have to deal with. It's called CEF and it's a measure taken by the Portuguese government to improve national statistics.

The British government took that measure about ten years ago, I know coz i was in the class, 3 days a week, they sent us to work 2 days a week, active work experience for those of us that may find it harder once school is finished, it kind of worked as I went full time after leaving school

MisterLove Wrote:I'm a high school teacher in Portugal and I'm always looking for ideas to keep my Economy students busy.

I work with the toughest students you can possibly imagine: 16 - 19 y.o., totally unmotivated, most of them from the local slums.

A couple of recent activities that worked really well:

1 - Music archive: they had to listen to 100 mp3 files and organise them

2 - Creative writing: each one wrote a sentence and in the end we got a complete story

3 - Treasure hunt at the local book fair

4 - Ride on the local ho ho bus

5 - Photomarathon in the streets of the historic district

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

Heres a couple for economy students....

1. How does the movie industry support the economy?
Are there specific types of movies that make more money than others? What are they and how is it they bring in the "big bucks"?

2. How do historic artifacts, cultural events, and museums make money? What makes them so interesting? How many different aspects of these businesses bring in capital to industries? And what industries thrive from this?

The same aspects can be used for the fashion industry, the cosmetic industry, the sports industry, etc....

You've got to hit on something that kids their ages are interested in. Something they would be happy to do research on. Possibly some factory tours of such industries.

Another one that worked well: on the lesson about logistics, they had to assemble a couple of IKEA articles. They really enjoyed it. It may seem like something trivial but we live in a poor, remote region of Africa (Madeira Island) and there are no IKEA stores here.

I used to work with younger emotionally disturbed boys age 8 to 11. As a punishment some of my co workers would make the boys write lines like "I will not tease other boys.", 100 times. I thought it was a stupid thing to do so I would make up a title for a story and they had to write a one page story. I would come up with a crazy title like " Why the lion wore purple socks on his feet". It seemed much more creative. You could try that, not as a punishment but just as an activity. There are endless titles out there. Some kids even came to me when they weren't in trouble and asked for paper and a title Smile

Thanks for what you do Wink

elad12 Wrote:I used to work with younger emotionally disturbed boys age 8 to 11. As a punishment some of my co workers would make the boys write lines like "I will not tease other boys.", 100 times. I thought it was a stupid thing to do so I would make up a title for a story and they had to write a one page story. I would come up with a crazy title like " Why the lion wore purple socks on his feet". It seemed much more creative. You could try that, not as a punishment but just as an activity. There are endless titles out there. Some kids even came to me when they weren't in trouble and asked for paper and a title Smile

Thanks for what you do Wink

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this.