Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning out hard drive.
Okay, so for the past couple weeks I keep getting a warning that I'm low on disk space. So I click on the icon and it cleans up some files and restores a bit of memory, however, each time I do this it restores less and less. Now its at the point that it doesn't seem to make a difference. I can't figure out what is eating up all my disk space since I don't download anything and I haven't been using my internet all that much. Is there any tips about what I can do to free up some space?

maybe system restore files ? that can take 1 gb a day....

I solved the problem - I bought a new laptop! My old one seems like its one its last legs anyway, it randomly shuts off, pops all sorts weird messages, and its becoming really slow and glitchy.

Funny enough, this new one has over 5x the memory, and several funky features, and it was $800 less than what I paid for the old one.

How big is the HD and what free space is left?
Have you delete your internet temporary files and other temp files?
Have you backed up any of your data files, ie music and pictures or video files. After these have been copied to another storage device, you can remove them from your pc and will give you some space back.
Also some software are really bloated, do you need to install all programs in the suite, ie MS Office. Just a couple of ideas, hope they help.

XRIMO Wrote:I solved the problem - I bought a new laptop! My old one seems like its one its last legs anyway, it randomly shuts off, pops all sorts weird messages, and its becoming really slow and glitchy.

Funny enough, this new one has over 5x the memory, and several funky features, and it was $800 less than what I paid for the old one.

maybe you should use ccleaner to clean up your PC ... works very good... and without problems

There's a file on c:\ that's HUGE and actually unnecessary, mines was about 10gbs and I deleted it. I forgot the name though but I'm sure if you allow hidden files and folders to be seen and go in c:\ you'll notice it.

CCleaner is also a good tool, you should check that out.

The problem isn't so much freeing up the space, but why its shrinking at an alarming rate. I did all the things to free up space and I freed up like 8 gigs, but 2 days later it was all gone... something is completely screwing with it and I ran virus scans and nothing showed up. I deleted all the temporary internet files, cookies, and I compress all files on my hard drive and still the memory keeps vanishing. So I finally said fuc k it and that it was time for a new laptop.

One way to clear it would be to reformat the HD and re-install the O/S, then reload the software again, A real pain but you would have a clean machine.

Ccleaner is useful to clear out the crap on your PC.

It could be the system restore points that your computer makes that's eating up your disk space. Or the error report logs (or something like that). There are a LOT of unnecessary files, logs and other things that are made that eat up your disk space.

Just get CCleaner, it erases most of that stuff. I don't think it would delete the system restore points though.