Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold joke...
i don't know if there are Cold joke in your country, or is that popular?
In China, the Cold joke is popular. i will tell your guys one:

xiaoming(a boy's name) just cut his hair. classmates of him laugh at him because they think his new hair style is like a kite. xiaoming hears that, crying and running. Finally, he flies.....

is that a little c.o.l.d.....:tongue:

Ni hao Tab, I believe what you call a cold joke is what in English we would call "absurd humour" (huangtangde youmo/ gushi). What word(s) do you use in Mandarin to say a "cold joke"?
Thank you for your cold joke. Xiexie ni.

absurd means it is very imaginative and couldn't happen in reality... it isn't logical.

Bonjour, princealbertofb:

your hanyu(Chinese) is pretty good!
we call the Cold joke in Chinese as"leng xiao hua".
i think there is a little different between the Cold joke and the absurb humour. besides to describe the temperature, we use "cold" to describe a person having no expression on his face. so, the cold joke is a joke which is not like a joke.

i can give you another cold joke(i translate):
long time ago, there was a panda. he went to a restaurant, ordered a dish, then ate. after eating up, he took out a gun and fired randomly. then he left. the boss of the restaurant come up with the panda, and asked him why he did this. the panda said: check the dictionary. the boss find a sentence in dictionary: Panda: an animal,eats shoots and leaves......

Tab, you are lucky that your leng xiao hua translates into English, lol
eats (bamboo) shoots, and (bamboo) leaves hahaha; This is what we would call a pun (a play on words which mean different things). But the joke is still absurd because pandas don't speak, right???
I think humour for which the teller of the joke keeps a straight face is called tongue-in-cheek humour... You keep a straight (cold) face but in fact you find it very amusing...

Eats Shoot & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation is also the title of a well-known book by Lynne Truss