Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come out to straight freinds
I've recently come out to some straight mates and everythings going fine except...

When they make gay jokes I don't know how to react. Almost all the time I find it funny and I laugh but I don't know how to come back at them. imo i've only got 2 options, either get annoyed about it (which i'd never do) or act well... gay. I can't make gay jokes back at them so I feel like i'm being backed into a corner where i'll have to act like the stereotyped gay cause I have no other way to respond.

Any help?

if they are just joking with you then you should feel free to crack back on them. i mean make up some jokes back like "don't knock it till you try it" and stuff like that. but if it really gets to you, ask them "your just joking right" or "alright you guys are starting to get on my nerves." don't be afraid to sound well...bitchy if you have to. it was your choice to come out to them you don't need any "beat around the bush" shit about it. that's just how i feel about it, hope this helps.

Anonymous Wrote:I've recently come out to some straight mates and everythings going fine except...

The dreaded... Except..!Rolleyes

I don't think jokes are a bad thing with 'Blokes'... They have trouble with depth in conversation and really, jokes are about as deep as some can get..

Arm yourself with a list of straight jokes (good ones.. not the silly one-liners..) and join in with a deep and meaningful conversation with them...lol

Straight guys can be great fun.. though try to play it cool when you are in public with them as they tend to embarrass very easily... This is something their wives thoroughly enjoy taking advantage of... on occasion...:tongue:

Good on you for coming out and good luck with your friends... Now that you are out you may find you'll meet new ones over time so don't be too worried...Xyxthumbs

Xtra

What's the nature of the jokes? Are they poking fun at you or are they poking fun at their idea of what a gay male is like?
It sounds to me as if they are playing around with you, and want to see if you understand that they're poking fun at gays, company excepted, meaning not you, of course. They can probably understand that you are not like the stereotype. Or do you think you are?

Thanks for the replies everyone, it all helps

You've got it bang on princealbertofb, they don't laugh at me as such, more at gays in general and I find it really funny, it's just I have to give them some banter back and I can't see a way of doing it without getting really stereotypical. I can't exactly retaliate by claling them gay.

Plus I don't really know any straight jokes. I mean I call them breeders and laugh at some of them for being virgins, but I can't use the same comeback every single time. Anyone got any good straight banter?

I am sure others will have better ideas but here's mine. You could try pointing out all the stuff that your friends find annoying/difficult about their girlfriends that you don't have to put up with, for example, hours going round female clothing stores, 'time of the month', etc.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

ive been in the same positon mate - the jokes and ribbing are just banter that we do to each other - i never took any personaly and its never meant that way by my freinds - i get the gay jokes, the big lad gets the fat jokes, big nose lad gets it etc etc - we all cop for it but all good natured - we just played wii bowling n i made a comment that i couldn't bowl striaght if i tried - 2 mates cracked up laughing n i didnt get it at first,,,,then they explained wot i'd said n we all laughed - later on it was my other mates turn for jokes bout him, no harm done n we all get a laugh at our expense at some point.