Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comet ISON is coming! Are you scared?
MisterLove Wrote:I have no idea but I read something about major earthquakes and changes in the planet's magnetic fields.

Grr. Asteroids and comets in the past have come close to earth - Close is a relative thing.

I think in the past decade I have heard of three objects that have been near misses - near miss means that they were inside the orbit of the moon and absolutely positively nothing happened to the earth, no uptick in quakes, the earth's magnetic field wasn't interrupted - if it wasn't for telescopes and a few people looking up no one would have known or had a clue that these object very nearly hit the earth...

That is a 'relative distance' type thing since distances in our solar system are incredibly huge compared to the size of the objects in the solar system.

I go to a conspiracy theorist website for pure shits and giggles. I actually enjoy reading the stupidity and lack of hard since that so many minds come up with.

Well maybe enjoy isn't the right word - I go there to keep a tab on the pulse of human over all general intelligence and ability to reason, this keeps me on my toes and always reminds me that people are, in general, far more idiotic than they present themselves.

This video and all of the claptrap being tossed out by the CT community on this subject is not based in real science, it is based in superstitious fear which is coupled with nothing approaching rationality or study of facts when it comes to comets and asteroids.

This is the same community that brought us Planet X - a hypothetical planet which according to the Zetas (a species that is telepathically speaking to a human being here on earth who is their prophetess) In 2003 Planet X entered the solar system at incredible, relativistic speeds, then suddenly stopped in its trajectory and has taken to lurk somewhere near the sun and will come from the south polar region and can only be seen from the south pole.

When faced with such solid, scientific evidence we all just have to accept our fate I guess. Rolleyes

Yes, there is a real comet called ISON which is right now apparently on it's first ever loop around the sun. No, I am not scared. In fact, I am hopeful that ISON will put on a good show as it whips through the center of our solar system and passes by the Earth. (And by "passing by" we are talking 64,000,000 km -- almost half way between us and the sun.)

I watched as much of the video as I could stomach and the guy is clearly clueless about such things as astronomy, earthquakes, facts and science in general. REAL scientists are excited about this event and expect to learn a lot about comets and the solar system. It's better to read their blogs than those of fear-mongering, attention-starved, misfits worried about Bible prophesies and some mythological apocalypse.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Grr. Asteroids and comets in the past have come close to earth - Close is a relative thing.

I think in the past decade I have heard of three objects that have been near misses - near miss means that they were inside the orbit of the moon and absolutely positively nothing happened to the earth, no uptick in quakes, the earth's magnetic field wasn't interrupted - if it wasn't for telescopes and a few people looking up no one would have known or had a clue that these object very nearly hit the earth...

That is a 'relative distance' type thing since distances in our solar system are incredibly huge compared to the size of the objects in the solar system.

I go to a conspiracy theorist website for pure shits and giggles. I actually enjoy reading the stupidity and lack of hard since that so many minds come up with.

Well maybe enjoy isn't the right word - I go there to keep a tab on the pulse of human over all general intelligence and ability to reason, this keeps me on my toes and always reminds me that people are, in general, far more idiotic than they present themselves.

This video and all of the claptrap being tossed out by the CT community on this subject is not based in real science, it is based in superstitious fear which is coupled with nothing approaching rationality or study of facts when it comes to comets and asteroids.

This is the same community that brought us Planet X - a hypothetical planet which according to the Zetas (a species that is telepathically speaking to a human being here on earth who is their prophetess) In 2003 Planet X entered the solar system at incredible, relativistic speeds, then suddenly stopped in its trajectory and has taken to lurk somewhere near the sun and will come from the south polar region and can only be seen from the south pole.

When faced with such solid, scientific evidence we all just have to accept our fate I guess. Rolleyes

I prefer to visit a survivalists website. It gives me good tips and tricks I can use when mostly living off the grid (what I am planning to do with my property). Electricity will still be by state, but I'd like to live fairly self sufficient on there.

These websites are ripe with conspiracy theories too though, and they are amusing (but also frustrating) in particular.... dun dun DUUUUUUN! /dramatic music

... chemtrails.

Chemtrals are geoengineering no wait, they are due to or relate to HAARP - Oh wait, not they are the Reptilian agenda to whip us all out!

When I first stumbled on to one of those sites I patiently attempted to explain the realities of several subjects - (such as the amount of energy it would take to literally flip the earth head over teakettle in a single day) I was well met with the title 'Debunker' amongst other more profane titles.

Yes there are nicer survivalist sites - and like you I have a minor interest in 'sustainable living' (off grid, self sufficiency). Still one can't do anything about the CT'rs except let them have their say and snicker behind their backs.

I do view it as a major indicator of how modern public schools are failing to teach basics like basic science, basic maths - um common sense....

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I do view it as a major indicator of how modern public schools are failing to teach basics like basic science, basic maths - um common sense....

Unfortunately, too many teachers lack critical thinking skills themselves so they are incapable of passing them on to their students. The internet, TV news, talk shows, youtube, etc are full of so much crap that it's more important than ever for everyone to develop a good bullshit detector.

The guy in the video above clearly has a poor understanding of earthquakes, our solar system, astronomy, and basic science. I couldn't watch it long enough for the Bible prophecy connection. *facepalm*

Speaking of teachers and science it was about 3 years ago when my partner (a history teacher) had me come with her to eat out with other teachers and I mostly just listened as it was my first time with them. They got to talking movies when The Day After Tomorrow came up and one teacher said, "I love watching scientifically accurate movies like that."

Scared

I'd been drinking my juice bored as she so casually said that and came so close to spitting, dramatically drawing everyone's attention to me. I was slightly jittery on how close I came to it. And the last thing I wanted to do was alienate a bunch of teachers whose goodwill might become important. As it was I was lucky enough to just cough a little and fake it as swallowing wrong rather than hearing a damn educator say that.

At least she teaches social studies rather than science.

No other teacher said anything. Hopefully they were just better at hiding their shock that a teacher said that (and since they knew her, less surprised) though my partner (who hates disaster movies) never saw it and therefore had no reaction. But ah well, such are the people who are educating the next generation.

Pix Wrote:Speaking of teachers and science it was about 3 years ago when my partner (a history teacher) had me come with her to eat out with other teachers and I mostly just listened as it was my first time with them. They got to talking movies when The Day After Tomorrow came up and one teacher said, "I love watching scientifically accurate movies like that."

Scared

I'd been drinking my juice bored as she so casually said that and came so close to spitting, dramatically drawing everyone's attention to me. I was slightly jittery on how close I came to it. And the last thing I wanted to do was alienate a bunch of teachers whose goodwill might become important. As it was I was lucky enough to just cough a little and fake it as swallowing wrong rather than hearing a damn educator say that.

At least she teaches social studies rather than science.

No other teacher said anything. Hopefully they were just better at hiding their shock that a teacher said that (and since they knew her, less surprised) though my partner (who hates disaster movies) never saw it and therefore had no reaction. But ah well, such are the people who are educating the next generation.

Ermegerd, I have seriously tried not stabbing myself in the neck all week for something similar but worse.

A lovely person has been doodling "alien proof" on a whiteboard at work while I am trying to be sane. Including division equations that were incorrect, random elements, attempted trigonometry and "proof" of alien DNA, etc etc etc...

Honestly I would prefer to suffocate in my own effluent than sit through that anymore.

[Image: 184208955_4072_kill_me_now_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg]