Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming Out In College
monk Wrote:Sometimes you just have to take your courage in both hands. As you intend to come out when in college, I'd tell them now.

Good luck. Bighug

Could not have said it better.

Right? They are basically strangers yet they both continue to text me and one girl wants to meet up. I literally saw these people for two days at orientation.

To me they sound a little or a lot despite but thats just me

I'm having trouble typing "gay." I just like can't do it.

I understand that you feel ready to tell the world, but living it is a different story. Your decision to come out should be on your terms, and in YOUR timeframe, no one else's.

You met these girls at orientation, as Pip said, they are strangers.

They keep texting you, in my mind, that screams: aggressive. Rolleyes The one asking about meeting up, may be interested in hooking up.

You don't owe them any explanation. You said you might be interested in keeping them as friends but you hardly know them, wait and see what kind of people they are. You may not want to hang out with them.

You may see them around campus, you may have a class with them but you may never see them around. Don't rush to include them in your inner circle.

I would tell each of them that you are only interested in being friends. That way you are not leading anyone on, and YOU are in control of your coming out.

Go visit the LGBT center on campus, talk with some people who are out at school, and ask about acceptance and campus culture. Go to LGBT sponsored events, meet people. You are going to meet so many new diverse people.

Best wishes!

eta: And, my reasoning is I'm reading you as someone who is sensitive and kind. You are going away to college and do NOT have an emotional support system in place. College is different from high school, give yourself a little time to settle in.

lightup19 Wrote:I'm having trouble typing "gay." I just like can't do it.

Dude, please don't rush.

You need more time.