Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out when in university.
Depends on the University and where it is.

For instance if its in say the middle east you mayn't desire to come out or someone may lose there head (you).

Its like real estate, location, location, location.

You might also discover that certain fields of study guys come out less, such as the science arena which is cut throat and something as small as your sexuality can be a hidden check against you and your advancement. Sure we speak highly of tolerance, so no one will come right out and say 'He's gay, ignore his work', but the discrimination is there and its over the sexuality thing.

Its still a toss up in many fields if its a good idea to be out or in the closet. Again, while its illegal in many places to discriminate for sexual orientation, it doesn't prevent the intolerant from making your work a living hell to drive you out, or to nitpick and subject you to closer than average scrutiny.

Your coming out in University will basically be you coming out to those who you will most likely consider colleagues and peers for the rest of your career in that field. If you are going into a closed field of study/career, then keep it on the Q.T.

That sucks so much, I'm safe because I live nowhere near the Middle East, nor do I plan on going back there. I do however plan on going into science (astrophysics) but if my potential work would be dismissed cause I like guys then that would suck so much.

Quote:I do however plan on going into science (astrophysics) but if my potential work would be dismissed cause I like guys then that would suck so much.

(This post prompted me to join) It won't. I'm a gay astrophysicist. My sexuality has never been an issue. Not through my studies nor my work. You certainly won't be the only gay guy in your field and probably won't even be the only gay guy in your department. You're judged on the quality of the science you do - not your personal life.

That's a long way off though given you're 16. As for coming out at uni, you'll have a much better time there if you are able to be yourself. It won't be like school (at least my school!) where you'd have the life kicked out of you outside the gates because of who you are. You'll find most people don't care.

But again, given you're 16, starting uni is at least 18 months or so away yet. Concentrate for now on getting some damn good A-levels so you can have your pick of good universities!

Thank you for this, I don't really know how to respond really since there's nothing really to address, except that I could be in uni by September this year (Scottish system) since I've applied and got an offer.

WeirdScot Wrote:Thank you for this, I don't really know how to respond really since there's nothing really to address, except that I could be in uni by September this year (Scottish system) since I've applied and got an offer.

That's cool. What course is it, exactly? Straight physics, physics with something else? I'm a physics/maths (applied) student. At my college, I prefer the way the applied maths department teaches physics (the physics department seem kind of sloppy).

In the first year it's Physics, Astronomy and Maths that I need to take. Then I need to narrow it down to the single one some point in my uni career.

Quote:Thank you for this, I don't really know how to respond really since there's nothing really to address, except that I could be in uni by September this year (Scottish system) since I've applied and got an offer.

Ah I see...I underestimated how far into 16 you were! Apologies! And congratulations on your uni place. Which one are you going to?

5sigma Wrote:Ah I see...I underestimated how far into 16 you were! Apologies! And congratulations on your uni place. Which one are you going to?

I'm most likely gonna end up in Glasgow, I took a visit there to see what it was like and I like it.

It might be good for you to come out a bit more before uni. If you've received some responses you'll have an easier time of it and be more comfortable doing it.

Some of my mates had the craziest reaction, along the lines of "but you look and act nothing like that self-obsessed realitysnob on TV!" - who up until that point was the only gay they knew of. They were all very friendly and that was fun. Nothing breaks ice better than some gay humour.

Cuddly Wrote:It might be good for you to come out a bit more before uni. If you've received some responses you'll have an easier time of it and be more comfortable doing it.

Some of my mates had the craziest reaction, along the lines of "but you look and act nothing like that self-obsessed realitysnob on TV!" - who up until that point was the only gay they knew of. They were all very friendly and that was fun. Nothing breaks ice better than some gay humour.

How would I 'come out a bit' and I wouldn't really feel too comfortable doing it until like the last weeks or whatever and I'm super confident that my exam results will get me in, considering some of the people I talk to in classes are always using gay slurs (and actually are against gay people) it's just a weird situation.