Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications
http://blog.hiphipjorge.com/tips-for-lea...r_20161217

The more I am thinking about things I think CIS is probably the best option for me...

I need to look at schools that are reputable and have a flat tuition rate... I had ECU in mind but, in case I end up moving I don't want to worry about residency in another state and get screwed. I don't necessarily have plans to move out of state but you never know.

The other factor is that many of my credits will probably also transfer which is a big help and reduces cost...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Recent article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-kind-...1488114000 Code schools and boot camps that teach computer programming skills prove they can rapidly retrain American workers for the 21st century

kindy64 Wrote:Recent article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-kind-...1488114000 Code schools and boot camps that teach computer programming skills prove they can rapidly retrain American workers for the 21st century

I haven't looked at the article yet but here's something. We use a system called datatel, best way to describe it is like an octopus. Datatel consists of many things, for most just a UI, but it is what brings in student applications, register classes, reporting tools... Anyway, sits on a Unidata database which is kind of like SQL's weird uncle. The catch is things in the state, whether it is an annual thing or a new law or application that gets tied to it has to be written in their envision basic code, that's the best "official" name for it. Yes, you can find envision but it is, I assure, not the same language it is like a fake language that compiles to another language. I'd love to find more documentation because there would be so much useful stuff I could do knowing more about their development software which is based on an Eclipse (although not so sure it is the same thing when we're talking about Java development)...

One thing I am realizing is that I'm probably a bit late trying to *physically* go back to school. However, no real reason not to go CIS just needs to be favoring an area that I like because no two CIS programs are alike, some do have a bit of a focus on coding, but I also have to ask myself why do I need to know XYZ, it needs to be career specific.

What I would really like is to stay closer to my sister, she's all I have got when all the boyfriends go away and when the day comes that I no longer have parents. I don't want to be alone. So moving to the coast at this time would make more sense. She's my only sibling and I a guy's word is to be taken for a grain of salt if there's anything I have seen to be true.

I'm not money hungry, but yeah wouldn't hurt my feelings to double my salary either. My concern of course is taking on student loans at the age of soon to be 31 with unknown gains other than I have a plaque on my wall. Could be the best thing I have ever done or what fucks me over because carrying another $10-20k in debt in addition to my own stupidity, well let's just say I might end up joining Matt living in a van down by the river...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

For anyone NOT smoking weed, here's a good line of work to get into...

https://www.indy100.com/article/fbi-cybe...ke-7642821