Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer problems? Look into these....
VileKyle Wrote:I fixed that for you Frog

Laugh2So thats what that email was about. I thought she just wanted my body and bank details Rofl

Yup, I've been using ccleaner for a while now..

I suppose a 7 year old laptop still running pretty fast and neat is a good sign that stuff works, no?

I've heard soooooo much crap about Norton....but I can't know for myself..

OlderButWiser Wrote:Im a Mac user.

Whats a virus :biggrin:

ObW
X

[Image: e402a0fb70_Apple_Bug_iOS7_Fevrier2014.jpg]

:biggrin:

southbiochem Wrote:Yup, I've been using ccleaner for a while now..

I suppose a 7 year old laptop still running pretty fast and neat is a good sign that stuff works, no?

I've heard soooooo much crap about Norton....but I can't know for myself..

Ccleaner sure helps a lot.

I dont know why people bash Norton. As I said before, I have never had any problems with it. It has saved my pc on several occasions.

I have always been told "get anything, but DONT EVER get McAfee....now THAT will fuck your pc up".

Norton is a resource hog, it in and of itself will slow your pc down. Not to mention the worst dictator you could ever allow on your pc.
if you wanna speed your pc open a command line run>cmd type in msconfig go to startup tab
everything that doesnt have microsoft or your gpu manufacturer/antivirus manufacturer uncheck it and save, next go into the startup folder start>all programs>startup clear everything out unless you KNOW what it is and want it there
next go to add or remove programs
remove everything there you dont know what it is unless it says
java
oracle
nvidia
amd
logitec
antivirus of your choice (I recommend avg free)

next open all your web browsers ie Internet explorer, firefox, chrome etc go into options remove all plug ins that you dont want/know about that got installed, clear history and check all options.
if you use internet explorer solely, download firefox, its better and faster.
restart and you will have a new pc
if things are still not as fast as you would like, look at your hard disk drive, you can upgrade to a black edition western digital 1tb for like 100$, if its a laptop and you dont store movies id suggest a solid state drive super fast and it will save on power. get a third gen or better they are rapidly improving the lifespan of ssd's

I'm using Microsoft security essential

Although this post is three weeks old, I'll add a couple thoughts on computers.

1. I discovered that computers do not like being kicked,,,,, which is something my dear husband has a habit of doing when the computer doesn't cooperate with him. The life span of our computer is about two years before dear hubby destroys it.

2. Computers are dust magnets,,,, I have to clean it once a week or it will look like an untouched relic.

3. Computer programs can be a bit quirky.... If they stop working - turn the computer off and then back on,,,, that generally fixes those minor problems.

4. When you download a program,,,, check for additional crap that will accompany the download. The little tiny square box's with a check mark in them will be the additional crap - you need to un-check them.

5. If you get viruses,,, then you need to get a better virus protection program.

6. If your virus protection program and it's additional utilities noticeably slow your computer down,,, then you need a faster computer for those kind of programs. The older "slower" computers were affected the most by such programs, the newer computers generally have no problems.

7. Most computers come with a "Disk Cleanup Program" and A "Defragment Program"... Use them.

8. Go to "Internet Options" and under "Internet History" place a check mark beside "Delete Browsing History On Exit".... This way your parents or lovers, or boyfriends, or husbands, cannot go back and see what you have been looking at on the Internet (unless they install a special program to track you).

9. Don't download computer prank programs from the Internet and send them to old people. Old people have money and will throw away a perfectly good computer and get a new one the same day. I sent a prank program to my elderly neighbor that made the "Start Button" move around every time she put the cursor on it,,,,, Luckily I caught her just before she left the house to buy a new computer!!!! She thought the old one was possessed and was getting rid of it!!!...

10. Don't eat while leaning over the keyboard, That stuff gets under the keys and prevents the keys from operating properly. If a crumb accidentally falls on the keyboard - turn upside down and shake vigorously and pray it drops out...

Sincerely,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Norton is a complete pile of poo.

I can recommend CCleaner. Free and easy way to get rid of old temp files and clean up the registry and start up programs.

-edit-
Norton used to be good. About 20 years ago.