Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confidence in Oneself!
Hey, everyone:

I just wanted to here from you guys about how you gained enduring confidence in yourselves, with respect to embracing your sexualities. I totally accept being gay and am most of the time happy with it; however, some other times I kind of lose that confidence within myself after something or some experience negatively affects me and makes me sad that I'm different (in terms of my sexuality). I know that I am who I am and was created this way for a reason--I'm just not so sure what the reason is yet. So how did you guys cope with, or accept, being gay, and how do you become confident?

I started not to care what people thought of me. I started to look into and listen to famous gay people and how bad ass and amazing they are. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how incredible and influential gay people are. Being different is not a bad thing. It's the best thing that could ever happen to you. Being normal is just...boring and lame. Why be like everybody else? I developed a mind of my own and realized how funny and sad society really is. It took a while but I came around and now I really like myself.

Confidence comes with experience.
Experience usually comes with age.

Time will pass, you'll worry less.

Growing older ain't all bad.
Smile

Yeah, I think it gets easier as you get older. I'm a lot more upfront about being gay than I used to be, and I really don't care what anyone thinks anymore. I comfortable with it, so why worry about someone else's perception.

I used to have extremely thin skin regarding attacks on my sexuality. I was battered from all sides by ignorant people spewing their hate....and for the longest time it really got to me.

I began to learn though, that the people who matter in your life don't care....and the people who do mind don't matter. Your true friends and family will love you no matter what your sexual orientation....and if they don't, and their love is that petty and shallow....they weren't really the kind of people you would want in your corner anyway now are they?

In short, when I decided to come out, it strengthened the bond I had with my true friends and family tenfold...I no longer had to hide that aspect of myself and it allowed them to enter into a whole new part of my life.

Those who rose a stink about it, I immediately culled out of my life for good. Fuck them!

But that's what I learned to think....who gives a rat's ass what some random, worthless bigot on the streets thinks of you, or what false friends think. Just trust in yourself you're better than they are on your worst day because you don't judge others as shallowly as they do. That's how I gained my confidence Confusedmile:

With respect to being gay...I TRULY feel that being gay is a gift. A blessing. Something to be celebrated.

I have cited this before and will again no doubt..

In the 80s when AIDS became an epidemic there was a cover of a magazine (I think it was TIME) that had the photos on the cover of the deceased and the title on the cover read...

"WHY IS GOD PICKING ALL HIS FLOWERS AT ONCE?"

Indeed.

As far as confidence in general...knowing who you are and being true to yourself are sure paths to inner peace.

BreatheHopeLive Wrote:Hey, everyone:

I just wanted to here from you guys about how you gained enduring confidence in yourselves, with respect to embracing your sexualities. I totally accept being gay and am most of the time happy with it; however, some other times I kind of lose that confidence within myself after something or some experience negatively affects me and makes me sad that I'm different (in terms of my sexuality). I know that I am who I am and was created this way for a reason--I'm just not so sure what the reason is yet. So how did you guys cope with, or accept, being gay, and how do you become confident?

Live your life for you, live upto your expectations because everyones elses expactations of you are always unreasonable.

You know your limits, you know what you want...live for YOU

wintermoon Wrote:I used to have extremely thin skin regarding attacks on my sexuality. I was battered from all sides by ignorant people spewing their hate....and for the longest time it really got to me.

I began to learn though, that the people who matter in your life don't care....and the people who do mind don't matter. Your true friends and family will love you no matter what your sexual orientation....and if they don't, and their love is that petty and shallow....they weren't really the kind of people you would want in your corner anyway now are they?

In short, when I decided to come out, it strengthened the bond I had with my true friends and family tenfold...I no longer had to hide that aspect of myself and it allowed them to enter into a whole new part of my life.

Those who rose a stink about it, I immediately culled out of my life for good. Fuck them!

But that's what I learned to think....who gives a rat's ass what some random, worthless bigot on the streets thinks of you, or what false friends think. Just trust in yourself you're better than they are on your worst day because you don't judge others as shallowly as they do. That's how I gained my confidence Confusedmile:

Post of the day. Thumbgrin

You've got to learn that your sexuality usually matches up with whom you love and want to be with romantically. Usually you can be a hetero romantic bisexual. Basically you're bi but want to be with women. You've got to realize whatever romantic you are, its YOUR life. Ok, you be with whom you want to be with. If you both love each other, then be together. Be with what gender you want to be with ok. Slowly start to drill this into your head everyday you wake up or go to sleep. Keep thinking it and it will become second nature to you.

As for me I think what happened to me at 5 shaped the kind of person I became. Very short & sweet I didn't dare wake up the 'rents who in bed with a hangover (and it was approaching lunch time) so I figured out how to use a chair and some utensils to pry out a box of Cheerios from a cabinet and make my own breakfast. A feeling filled me then that no matter how scary and unpredictable the adult world was I could take care of myself and in so doing I felt less need for their approval and thus cared less about their judgments of me (and by extension to accept myself even when society didn't approve).

And it seemed no matter where I was growing up I had people shunning me at best and bullying me at worst. For the most part teachers let me read & write quietly (even when other kids weren't allowed to) in exchange for my not asking questions. I was known to be easygoing and not hold grudges for long yet there were enough experiences that showed if you crossed a line in the sand I'd make them regret it while showing my usual not-caring what the adults or popular kids thought of my self-defense and/or retaliation, so with a few notable exceptions they didn't push me (but most didn't accept me either). And I always had friends, sometimes just one (with a few acquaintances) and that was enough, I preferred quality over quantity. That really helped me to accept who I am as well.

That's all well and good for me, but others didn't have those experiences and thus have a much harder time accepting themselves. To them I'd want to say 2 things:

First, not everyone is going to like you no matter how much you live up to the society's expectations. Even if you become popular and successful people will still hate you, for jealousy if not for a more valid reason (sad thing is many become popular or successful at the expense of others so there are valid reasons for people to dislike them). So I think it makes sense to focus on those who like and accept you rather than those who don't and know that no matter what (including if you were straight) there'd always be people who didn't like you...and to be glad that if someone dislikes you just for being gay that they don't have a much more valid reason for disliking you (and IMO you have a much more valid reason to dislike them back).

And two, thinking is a habit. If you're used to thinking everyone will hate your or whatever then practice thinking differently. From others who have done this I know it feels stupid at first but in less than a year (if done at least a few minutes a day) how you think will start to change and feel more accurate than silly and that will inspire changes. For example, many who think they're worthless act worthless because they see no point in even trying and are even too dispirited, but those who think they matter start acting like it and convince many others they matter in the process. Try it, it has worked for others who kept at it long enough for their thinking habits to change, so maybe it can work for you as well.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Confusedmile: