Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflicting Morals.
Just because you are having some struggles now with an organized religion doesn't mean you have to give up your relationship with God.

You can be gay and spiritual.

If you really feel the need for a church, check out this website.

http://www.gaychurch.org/

It's got information on gay churches in various areas, there's bound to be one by you.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Thank you all, I have some good things to think about!!! :biggrin:

I agree with Fred, but I'm going to expand a bit on the subject. When we are raised in religious households, the religion works its way deep inside of us and shapes our thoughts, it is undeniable a major part of our cultural upbringing. Though I have long since turned away from any actual belief in Christianity, I can see reflections of my parents' beliefs in my own beliefs. I don't think I'll ever get away from that staunch Protestant reservation and will always be a somewhat "conservative" individual when it comes to my own behaviour.

I suppose what I am trying to get at, albeit ineloquently, is that realizing your beliefs are changing is not turning against everything that you are as a person. Catholicism will probably be with you at some level throughout your entire life. I would suggest worrying less about what you think is right or wrong ontologically; worry more about what works for you as an individual and how you can live a life that you're happy with.

fredv3b Wrote:I have to say that in my opinion there is no such thing as a non-self-hating gay Roman Catholic. (OK maybe that is a little strong). I don't see how you can disagree so fundamentally with the church on a issue where it does not see doubt or complexity, and still be a Roman Catholic in more than name. If you want to resolve your cognitive dissonance then I have to agree that you should find yourself a new church, or resign yourself to being a 'lapsed' Catholic.

Sorry to be blunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no, no...

And I apologize to you for being blunt.

But I really feel the need to chime in here, I AM A PRACTICING CATHOLIC. I was away from the Church for MANY YEARS and miserable.

But I'm back and I'm happy but I can separate God and Love from Politics and Rhetoric. This takes YEARS and it take LIFE EXPERIENCE (aka: wisdom).

I could write a book, but I'm exhausted.

A Catholic is ALWAYS a Catholic, he needs the Church because the Church is the house that contains the Body of Christ (that would be us, we're the body). Yes, God is infinite and He is everywhere, you CAN find God in the forest if you like, but you CANNOT turn your back on the Church--even with all of it's failings! And YES, the Church has failed OVER and OVER and OVER again in the past 2000 years. It was wrong during The Crusades, it was wrong about the Solar System, it was wrong about the child abuse and about condoms and about homosexuality, and hell it's just flat wrong about sex. But it's an organization of human beings who are all deeply flawed, just as all of us are. You don't turn your back on it! You follow Christ who taught many things, but mostly about love and forgiveness.

Livingproof, feel free to send me a PM or contact me in public, I have nothing to hide.

God made you, He knows you by name, He loves you and He wants you to be happy. Period. Dot. End of sentence. Everything else is JUST POLITICS (aka BULLSHIT).

Peace brother.
Smile

Knowing God better than the Church sounds very Protestant to me.

Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Knowing God better than the Church sounds very Protestant to me.

Being Catholic is different.

People express it in different ways--depending on their experience. Some are angry, but they're always Catholic, even when they're away, like I was.

Unless you grow up with it, you just can't understand what it means and quite frankly that's why so many people struggle with it (i.e. the phrase, "Recovering Catholic").

It take a strong heart to keep the faith AND forgive. Some don't have it in them, but the Church is always there, in one shape or form.

Most importantly, people in general need to STOP looking everywhere else except inside their own hearts for answers to their questions. No human can do that for you. You must do it all by yourself, with love for yourself and others.

Another one of those pesky Protestant prejudices I've had ingrained in me from a young age is a deep distrust of the institutions of the Catholic Church, not sure abandoning my Protestant beliefs has changed that much though lol.

I know the feeling, livingproof.
Imagine that in the church I go, people meet there to gossip (I am reffering to the old women), to look at everyone enters the church and gossip. I go there to pray, and ignore everyone else. You should prey and go to church if you feel that. I learn that God hears your preyer from everywhere. You do not have to be in a church in order to prey.
I think you should watch this clip, to understand. (you don't have to know Romanian/Russian, just watch it)
youtube.com/watch?v=-DiIpBQQpGc (put the www in front. I am not allowed to post links)