Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about Guy
I need some advice.There's a guy in my neighborhood I know off and on for about 30 years.To my knowledge he never married.He was a customer where I worked so that's how I met him. He took care of his elderly mother until she passed a few years ago.He's a few years older than me.I'm 57 and he must be in his early 60s. He remembers me from work years ago so whenever he runs into me in the neighborhood we have a little chat usually about general things. I think there's a possibility that he might be gay but I can't be 100 percent sure.When I run into him we have a nice conversation but instead of ending the conversation slowly and casually he abruptly ends it by saying a little quickly,"OK I gotta go" or something to that effect.I'm really attracted to this guy but sometimes I can't figure him out. What are your opinions on this.I'm a little puzzled. Thank you.

Ask him, not us! He knows, we don't.

Well, I can't be that blunt because I don't know his story exactly. I was only asking you guys opinions just to get another view on it.

abcd1234 Wrote:Well, I can't be that blunt because I don't know his story exactly. I was only asking you guys opinions just to get another view on it.

Well, how about just being friends then? I'm intrigued. a question if I may. How could he know he can broach this topic if he doesn't know if you're gay?

What's your fear here? What's the worst thing that could happen if you ask him what you want to know?

Well,if I ask him directly and he's not gay then it would be an awkward situation and if he is gay he might be in the closet. I may just take meninlove's advice and drop a bead or two about myself and see what happens.

In my opinion you find him interesting the first step should be became his friend, or being closer to him, in some way. Ask him to go out for a coffee or if he told you about a theatre, exhibition or something else take the occasion.
Then you would know "more things about him"...

abcd1234 Wrote:Well,if I ask him directly and he's not gay then it would be an awkward situation and if he is gay he might be in the closet. I may just take meninlove's advice and drop a bead or two about myself and see what happens.

Trying MIL's advice sounds good and might work.

Okay, so your fear is that it would be awkward to ask a guy if he is gay and he says he's not. If the payoff is you get to ask him on a date if he does like guys, then to me the risk is worth it. Even it were awkward, most likely it only would be awkward for a brief moment.

It could be as easy as asking him if he would ever date a guy, then go from there based on his answer. It really is the 21st century and we have to stop acting as if being gay is some huge thing. It's just a facet of the human condition. If you don't make such a big deal about it, then it probably isn't a big deal to the other person either.

Better to risk and win or lose rather than regret and wonder. I don't see you have much to lose, and you have a lot you could gain: a friend, a lover, who knows!

Got a front porch? Ask him if he'd like to stop by for a drink?
I bid NO Trump!

To be honest, he sounds a little anti-social to me? It's like he tries and stays as long as he can before his insecurities kick in and he bolts out of there. Some people just aren't good at the art of conversation, or the art of "chit-chat". My grandfather is like this. "Oh... I hear my cat calling me... Gotta go!!"