Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservatives Win Big in U.K. Local Elections
[Image: huelectionsg1805_667529d.gif]

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Conservative have taken the London Mayoral race (Go Boris Johnson!) and increased their Councillor/Council numbers significantly nationwide. This is the biggest election blow for the Labour in 40 years.

And best of all, in terms of popular vote the Labour came in 3rd (24%)!!! While the Conservatives topped the election with 44%, and the Liberal Democrats at 25%.

Good news indeed. "New" Labour is dead, and Brits are learning that, and are ready to trust the new and changed Conservatives.

I hope the next federal election results in a David Cameron Conservative Majority!

Why do you care so much about British politics, young man? How do they affect you?

I steer well clear of politics... they don't interest me in the slightest (even though I probably should show more enthusiasm...)

I usually steer clear of politics myself... but I do ensure I cast my vote... at least then I've got the right to bitch about em when they're cockin up!

Usually, I'd NEVER vote conservative... and apart from voting Boris for Mayor... given he was the only real opposition to Ken, I still haven't voted for em.

I'm not very politically minded I have to say but Brian Paddick makes me come over all unnecessary Diablotin

On a slightly more serious note - these politicians are appointed by us to serve us in making our country safer and a more contented environment for us to dwell and live our lives in. We should all have at least some level of interest from local election vote casting to lobbying or lodging complaints to local councillors.

After all it's only through people getting together in numbers and making their collective voice heard that issues get the attention they duly deserve.

Canucker Wrote:... Good news indeed. "New" Labour is dead, and Brits are learning that, and are ready to trust the new and changed Conservatives.
Really?! That reads like a rather simplistic interpretation. Firstly the elections were only for some local councils. This was not a general election. I'm writing from one of the many areas that did not hold any elections at all. I haven't looked at the voting figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if they show that the Tories actually won a lot of seats owing to the way votes are counted (except for the London mayoral election, which used a kind of proportional representation). That is little, if any, proof of any of your assertions. I would suspect a less than 50% turnout. Couple that with a first-past-the-post-system of voting and winning cadidates generally have a mandate from a minority of the population. I'm pretty certain I know very few people who are "ready to trust" Conservatives. Mind you I don't suppose I know many who trust Labour either after the last few years ...

Quote:I hope the next federal election results in a David Cameron Conservative Majority!
That's pretty easy for you to say. You wouldn't have to live with the consequences :frown:

I think its time Labour were kicked out they have been in long enough and seem to have gone stale, so I wont be voting for them come genral election (and didnt in the locals either)

Thing is I dont realy know if either of the other 2 parties are realy going to be any better but its got to be worth a try cant be much worse anyway! Ive never realy been a conservitive sorta person and dont know much about the lib dems.

In the locals I tend to vote for who I like rarther than whats party they are. Although Dr Noonab for the 'offical monster raving loony party' sounded a nice chap he didnt get my vote lmao.

Did seem to be a low turnout so much that the conservative chap and the Libdem chap outside both exsplelly thanked me for voting saying it was nice to see someone young who botherd to vote.

[quote=malcs]I think its time Labour were kicked out they have been in long enough and seem to have gone stale, so I wont be voting for them come genral election (and didnt in the locals either)
quote]

I tend to agree with you there. I have experienced both sides in power and become disillusioned with the parties. There does seem to be a shelf life regardless of who is currently 'in'.

I've decided to look a little more deeply into the policies of the Liberal Democrats and see whether I think they deserve a fair crack of the whip - afterall I can't see how they could possibly be any better/worse than what's currently on offer.

In the pre-Thatcher years there was an unofficial understanding that each party would expect to govern for about 5 years with a majority of about 10-40, thus keeping it all in check. Since 79, we've had long governments and huge majorities which have made the system appear stale.

So, the solution is a Tory government with a small majority with a short life expectency.

Serfdom Wrote:In the pre-Thatcher years there was an unofficial understanding that each party would expect to govern for about 5 years with a majority of about 10-40, thus keeping it all in check. Since 79, we've had long governments and huge majorities which have made the system appear stale.

So, the solution is a Tory government with a small majority with a short life expectency.
I understand what you're saying. Perhaps a move to a more proportionally representative form of voting might help.

There would be a downside, particularly for workers in health, social services, law enforcement and education. Can you imagine the mess that would result from a politician knowing s/he only has a five-year lifespan during which to make an impression? The casualty rate from innovation fatigue would be horrific Cry