Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conspiracy Theories
(08-09-2020, 08:04 PM)kindy64 Wrote:
Quote:You know they were picking up protesters (and when I refer to protester I mean peaceful protester) putting bags over their heads shoving them into unmarked vans?

Where did you come up with that one?  Seems like an overstatement of what I've seen.  Cursory search, not one media article with "arrest unmarked van blindfolded."

Quote:They get about a half a block away. Almost right on schedule, a minivan pulls up, four or five guys jump out wearing camouflage. His friend runs and gets away. Mark Pettibone gets grabbed. They pull his beanie down over his face to blindfold him. He said they tossed him in the minivan. An officer held his arms over his head. He said they didn’t tell him who they were or what was going on, drove around downtown for a couple minutes, and eventually unloaded him inside a building. They searched his stuff. He was photographed, put in a holding cell there where they read him his rights and asked if he wanted a lawyer or if he wanted to waive his rights and answer a few questions. And he said, “I want a lawyer.” They then terminated the interview, and very soon after, he was released. He wasn’t given any paperwork. He wasn’t given any idea if he had been charged with anything. And it wasn’t until he left the building that he realized he had been inside the federal courthouse the entire time.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020...rests.html

At any rate, none of this has much to do with conspiracy theories...this is has just come back to politics. Unless you want to get into what you think the agenda is with big media and why's and such, not sure this particular thread is the spot for the discussion we're having.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Quote:They pull his beanie down over his face

Not quite the "put bags over their heads" you claimed....

And so far, I've only found 2 such incidents in the media.  

One in New York City, which they claim is standard operating procedure for their warrant squad.

The other which was a catch and release.  They claim the guy matched someone they were looking for.  I know, I know, white male, medium build, dressed in all black... fits most of the "peaceful protesters" in Portland.  I'm guessing they had more than that to go on.

So, not even dozens of claims, I find one that keeps getting referenced.

So, the "conspiracy myth" is the claim that this is happening ALOT.  To compare to 3rd world countries, people would be disappearing, not to be found again until the mass graves were unearthed.

I keep saying, if President Trump were the fascist progressives claim to be, they wouldn't be met with non-lethal crowd control tactics, they'd have been met with absolute brute force.  So, you can add that hyperbole to your "conspiracy" theories.

=====================

I was just trying to bring up current examples of media bias perpetuating a narrative, which is something conspiracy theorists cling to. Conspiracy theories start because only part of the "truth" is published, and they think they know "the rest of the truth."

You have to admit our press is doing a disservice to this country.  In fact, by not reporting the whole picture they are actively doing harm to this country. Causing division in a time when there should be unity.

But, it's election time for the President they hate... and so many activists shout "BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY" and many people in the press are so biased against the current President they might as well be activists.

(08-09-2020, 09:51 PM)kindy64 Wrote:
Quote:They pull his beanie down over his face

Not quite the "put bags over their heads" you claimed....

What difference does it make? Beanie or bag over their head. I don't have a saff of journalist to hand me material at will. Nor am I going to spend hours of research for your entertainment as it would be a waste of my time.

(08-09-2020, 09:51 PM)kindy64 Wrote: And so far, I've only found 2 such incidents in the media.  

One in New York City, which they claim is standard operating procedure for their warrant squad.

So, not even dozens of claims, I find one that keeps getting referenced.

Well, there's more than two. Google, I assume, works the same for you as it does me. Again, I'm not going to look over 4-5 weeks of various news articles I skimmed over (because I'm bombarded with crap all the time and I simply don't have the time or interest to read everything I see pop up in my feed).

(08-09-2020, 09:51 PM)kindy64 Wrote: So, the "conspiracy myth" is the claim that this is happening ALOT.  To compare to 3rd world countries, people would be disappearing, not to be found again until the mass graves were unearthed.

I keep saying, if President Trump were the fascist progressives claim to be, they wouldn't be met with non-lethal crowd control tactics, they'd have been met with absolute brute force.  So, you can add that hyperbole to your "conspiracy" theories.

So you're in support of tear gassing and shooting "less lethal" projectiles (that's a nice way of saying shooting) at peaceful protesters? And frankly, considering there was an assassination attempt of a judge not sure we're on a good path, https://abcnews.go.com/US/federal-judges...d=71871708

(08-09-2020, 09:51 PM)kindy64 Wrote: I was just trying to bring up current examples of media bias perpetuating a narrative, which is something conspiracy theorists cling to. Conspiracy theories start because only part of the "truth" is published, and they think they know "the rest of the truth."

You have to admit our press is doing a disservice to this country.  In fact, by not reporting the whole picture they are actively doing harm to this country. Causing division in a time when there should be unity.

But, it's election time for the President they hate... and so many activists shout "BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY" and many people in the press are so biased against the current President they might as well be activists.

But you're not only bringing up current events as examples, you're bringing up events like BLM protests which many here do support. To make it clear, no, I'm not supporting the looting, rioting and burning down of businesses. By doing so it implies you're against BLM, dismiss the problem with racism in this country (which I have seen with my own eyes in my hometown and I do believe that yes it is problem), dismiss the problem with police brutality and corruption. So yeah, I think it is very difficult to have any support for a president who has done nothing to quell the violence other than send in federal troops that weren't asked for. How has Trump done anything to diffuse anything concerning these protests? Simple, he hasn't.

Moving along...

All media outlets, to some extent or to a more extreme extent (like OAN, may god have mercy on your soul if you watch that crap). Follow the money... Who owns Fox... News Corp. Who owns CNN... Turner Broadcasting which is part of AT&T. Same goes with all other media outlets, most radio stations are owned by Clear Channel or Sinclair Broadcasting. They all have their interests, so if the republicans cater more to the people who own these organizations, their shareholders, etc they're probably going to swing their bias in that direction. The other reason is they make money by making you say "Oh Dear" every time you watch the news or read an article. More and more though, I see less news telling rather than having 3-4 people giving their conjecture about something in the news. It is more of an indoctrination than telling the news. Wouldn't you agree? I see that quite frequently on Fox News (my parents watch Fox all the time, so I occasionally catch a glimpse)

That being said, if you want to get to heart of the matter about media fine. If you want to continue the political discussion I suggest making another thread. The original purpose was to into stuff like the illuminati and that sort of stuff...why people believe a lot of that stuff (although much of that stuff has seemed to die down in the last 4-5 years).
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Well, the media feeds popular myths to fit a narrative and drive clicks. So, perhaps the grandest conspiracy of them all...

Regarding the Illuminati, here ya go.  I've read the books, they spun an interesting tale, but they were fiction, a complete fiction.

https://bigthink.com/culture-religion/il...iracy-book

Quote:Wilson and Shea crafted the text with the intent to bring some good old-fashioned disinformation and chaos back into the culture — just for the fun of it. They decided this would be best done by telling stories about the Illuminati.

During this time, Wilson worked as a writer and editor for Playboy. Allegedly, Wilson, along with a couple of other writers, began writing fake letters to the magazine to start talking about the elite super-secretive organization called the Illuminati. Later, they'd send more letters in contradicting what they'd just written and stirring even more intrigue.

Eventually, this culminated in the Illuminatus! trilogy, for those in the know it was a fantastic cult classic of top tier satire. Weaving nonsense from the Kennedy assassination to the deeper and more insidious nature of the Illuminati. For others, who believe this tripe… not so much. Indeed, according to Wilson:

"You simply cannot invent any conspiracy theory so ridiculous and obviously satirical that some people somewhere don't already believe it."

Answers are also just a search away anymore...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...y-theories

Quote:The researchers found that reasons for believing in conspiracy theories can be grouped into three categories:
  • The desire for understanding and certainty

• The desire for control and security

• The desire to maintain a positive self-image

so yall going to fuck or not?
dont keep your audience waiting

(08-13-2020, 06:25 AM)Emiliano Wrote: so yall going to fuck or not?
dont keep your audience waiting

[Image: 200.gif]
Check out my stuff!