Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constantine the Cane Toad
Hi boys and girls, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce Constantine, the Marine Toad(Bufo Marinus). Although feeling like a Female, I'm almost positive he is a male (he has a narrow head, bumpier skin and longer fingers for holding on in Amplexus), so the name Constantine can work either way :p and is in now way a play on Roman Emperor Constantine the Great.

He is wild caught, I actually found him in the men's bathroom at the beach hiding out. I often find them in the women's bathroom (as someone leaves cat food in there every night), so was shocked to see him.

I simply scooped him up and put him in a bucket and threw a towel over the top to keep it dark and hid him around the back of our building, as I didn't want someone to hurt him.

Normally, I release the animals I find in areas they normally would be found (Crabs, Toads, Caterpillars etc), but My good friend and Doctor of Amphibian Physiology, Biology and Health, is actually looking for a good example to teach kids here about Toads and to remove negative stigmas and I figured Constantine fits the bill.

Cane Toads tend to "Tame" well, as they learn schedules and routines and who brings the food and will often in the wild frequent and more likely stay in that area, so it shouldn't be bad for him at all, not to mention she is very passionate with the Toadlets she currently has so :/

She had a Companion Toad for 15 years before she(the Toad) died from her deformities (she was missing an eye and foot).

I will attempt to do an educational video on Cane Toads with Constantine's help soon, so keep your eyeballs peeled Smile I promise it will be very interesting.
[Image: 20130714_172736.jpg]
[Image: 20130714_173821.jpg]

I have to beef up his temp home :/ it looks plain X,x

FROGGIE!!!!!
Frog

Girl, that house needs a do over NOW!!!!
I think some wet sand all over.....
Maybe a nice rock or shell over there.....
Oooooh, a piece of driftwood over there....
And just GOTTA have some dead flies over there!!!!
And a water container in that corner.....

If you put sand in it, you will have to change it out twice a week, and wash out the container.

Toads are great pets! I always did have a thing for the weirder options. I agree with Tinkles. That toad's home needs some attention! It almost looks as bad as my home!

You'd better make sure he toads the line.

Gurls, calm those tits! Lol, I'm on it.. *shakes head* lol

I know how to do it Tinks, I'm not sure if you know, but I am a Vet Tech(in another year) and have been working with Animals for years, however only 2 years now professionally at my local Aquarium and Zoo Sheep

Sand is not good for these particular toads, as the high PH and chemicals thereof can accelerate MBD(Metabolic Bone Disease), which is debilitating and often fatal. Unfertilized soil, Sphagnum Moss, Peat Moss and even Paper Towel are preferred substrates, although paper towel won't allow the toad to dig if it wants.

They eat Smaller Toads, Crickets and various other "big bodied" insects, Pinky Mice and often Cat Food/Dog food in the wild. They are extremely opportunistic and are the only Amphibian to eat dead matter, even grass occasionally. So no flies for Constantine :p

I have to find something to make a suitable "hide", probs a upside vase cut in half...

I agree Kyle! I love Amphibians and Reptiles, they're my favourite animal species, however I love all animals.

I can't wait to meet the European Toad and all the Salamanders and Newts they have. Bermuda only has 2 Amphibian species and very few Reptile species...

^o^

QueenOdi Wrote:Gurls, calm those tits! Lol, I'm on it.. *shakes head* lol

I know how to do it Tinks, I'm not sure if you know, but I am a Vet Tech(in another year) and have been working with Animals for years, however only 2 years now professionally at my local Aquarium and Zoo Sheep

Sand is not good for these particular toads, as the high PH and chemicals thereof can accelerate MBD(Metabolic Bone Disease), which is debilitating and often fatal. Unfertilized soil, Sphagnum Moss, Peat Moss and even Paper Towel are preferred substrates, although paper towel won't allow the toad to dig if it wants.

They eat Smaller Toads, Crickets and various other "big bodied" insects, Pinky Mice and often Cat Food/Dog food in the wild. They are extremely opportunistic and are the only Amphibian to eat dead matter, even grass occasionally. So no flies for Constantine :p

I have to find something to make a suitable "hide", probs a upside vase cut in half...

I agree Kyle! I love Amphibians and Reptiles, they're my favourite animal species, however I love all animals.

I can't wait to meet the European Toad and all the Salamanders and Newts they have. Bermuda only has 2 Amphibian species and very few Reptile species...

^o^

Fine...see if you ever get anymore decorating help from me!!!
[Image: ffc0c885_crying-smiley-sad-male-cry-tear...-gif.11965]

MisterTinkles Wrote:Fine...see if you ever get anymore decorating help from me!!!
[Image: ffc0c885_crying-smiley-sad-male-cry-tear...-gif.11965]

Aww sweetie, you can still help! Put on your blouse and Sunday shoes hunni, we're going shopping for materials! (And probs boys too...they're so easy :p )

Hey guys, so here's a mini-update. I wish and know I could do better...but what with me going away soon, It would be impractical to deck it out, however, My friend will soon be back from her Conference in DC, so they'll be off to bigger and better Wink ...ooop, did I say "they"?

Looks like the ...Toad...is out of the bag!

Introducing Yoru(to the left), which means Night/Moon in Japanese(95% sure x.x), mostly cause he's Darker than Constantine and his Belly is very ornate! And they are now housed in a 30litre container, bigger than the 20 litre one previous.
[Image: 20130717_212103.jpg]

He is from the Aquarium/Zoo and as some of the older members may remember, my Aquarium/Zoo euthanizes Toads like Yoru, so a co-worker and fab friend of mine saved him for me and she passed him on to me. She knows I don't like needlessly killing animals. Even though I myself have performed Euthanization on an Animal, it was only to relieve it of the pain it was in. (Broken Neck)

So he too will Join Constantine to my friend's home.

And now that he's there, Constantine seems less jittery and they lump on top of each other :3.

And appearantly, Yoru is a Top :o . I thought Constantine would've been, but he seems to prefer sleeping under Yoru :/ . Who knew? Lol

Awwww, friends at last!!

Cant you get a cheap glass aquarium from the zoo? Or maybe find a used one thats large enough?
It would probably be easier that way.

And Im ready to go shopping at the Toad and Froggy Store!!!

MisterTinkles Wrote:Awwww, friends at last!!

Cant you get a cheap glass aquarium from the zoo? Or maybe find a used one thats large enough?
It would probably be easier that way.

And Im ready to go shopping at the Toad and Froggy Store!!!

I used to have several Tanks and lids and lights and insect feeders and all sorts of stuff at my old house, but when I moved, my new apartment was and is too small for all that, so I gave it all to the Zoo. Many here could tell you all the animals I had and the tanks lol...even Aquatic Snails!

This one is large, it's just really under-developed and looks empty/bare, like a new house lol. I have a realllllllly big container, but it is full of my mom's shoes -.-

If only I was staying on the Island, I would completely deck it out and glamify the place (not to mention get more pets :3 ...I really want a newt Wink ).

Take a look at my previous Anuran Set-ups My Cute Froggy <3 - 2012