Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contemplating going to the gym..
Just wanted to hear some personal experiences from anyone here who has gone or does go to a gym? I've been contemplating it just to get in shape and build a bit of muscle really, im fine weight wise, fairly slim but just nothing special.

I'm just REALLY self conscious, nervous and terrified of them laughing at me or people staring at me.

Can anyone here share their stories and experiences?

fuck the others my friend Big Grin simple as that . You should care more about yourself more than others think. So go ahead, if you think like this you won't anything done eveeer. ( haven;t slept last night so ignore me if you want )

Oh and i went to the gym nto knowing anything i mean nothing... no routines , nothing. Of course they stared and stuff but i was in my world with my MP3 player and went pretty nicely , untill i noticed i hate the gym , so i stick to my running and swimming

Who doesn't want to go to a gym?
I mean dozens of hot, sexy, built, practically necked men or completely necked men all in one room.
Who doesn't want that

i hate muscle guys :\ i like a good conversation and a good time not jsut sex >.<

Get a short term day to day pass and see of you like it. There is a very good gay exercise forum realjock.com
You can get more better info there, how men deal with gym anxiety, various exercise plans, a diet.

I suggest you visit several, ask for a trial day or two or even pay single training sessions to check out the atmosphere, cleanliness, staff, etc. before registering and entering into a contract.

im goin to the gym in around an hours time , i can guarantee that i will see as many women as men, as many "normal shaped" bodys as muscle bodies...couldnt think of a better term there lol, and no one will be laughing or pointing at anyone , been to 3 diff gyms with my gym pass wich allows me into any gym they run ,,, plus i go on occasions the true body building gym with a friend as he's well buit ,, some very big guys there and nobody cares about my body shape or lifting abbility m8...
A lot of gyms will give u an introduction tour, show u how to use the equipment properly too. i myelf have seen many of the bigger guys giving newer members tips on how to do the exercises just to help prevent injury and to show the best way to get results, ive done it myself too.. my gym is in a sports center so we get the runners and athletes in getting toned, women who like the running machines etc and people like me who just like to spend an hour out of our day just doing something instead of sitting infront of the tv - try it mate......wow my post just rambled on then Smile

MidgetGem Wrote:Just wanted to hear some personal experiences from anyone here who has gone or does go to a gym? I've been contemplating it just to get in shape and build a bit of muscle really, im fine weight wise, fairly slim but just nothing special.

I'm just REALLY self conscious, nervous and terrified of them laughing at me or people staring at me.

Can anyone here share their stories and experiences?

Well midget everyone has to start somewhere :-) I used to be a right old fatty then I got into my martial arts and stuff and it improved my confidence a lot and I lost a shitload of weight. Personally I don't like the traditional gym scene because I find it boring I just can't spend an hour or two in the same place hence that's why I chose to go to my local martial arts club. They do kickboxing, mixed martial arts and a number of different classes for all abilities and tiers of experimence. Our martial arts centre has gym equipment too, there's weights Rowling machines and all sorts but it's the way they use them that is different. We do circuits and vary it up a bit and then move on to kickboxing and other stuff. On top of that I also run and have found this extremely beneficial. Don't be worried about joining because everywhere in life there are complete dickheads not at the gym, but in my experience there have been more people willing to help rather than hinder. Good luck :-)

At least here in the States men don't ogle other men in the locker room, and don't want anyone to think they do, so they're not likely to look at you anymore than they have to. (Speaking of which, some gyms it's better not to let others know you're attracted to men.)

That aside you'll find people in all kinds of shape going. Heck, I recall back when the sauna was closed for like a week because a woman was so fat (several hundred pounds) that she broke the bench (made with thick boards) in it when she sat on it. Most people are more concerned about their own shape than yours, and even those in really good condition are probably more likely to admire their own reflection (literally!) than spend much time reflecting on any imperfections they might see on you. :tongue:

Other than that I'd advise stretching and warm ups before you start exercising, especially with weights. When using weights it's better to go for longer reps than bigger bars (that is, it's better to lift 10 pound weights 100 times in the proper manner than 50 pound weights 10 times with difficulty), not only because it's more effective but because men who try the latter (and typically do so out of ego and wanting to be seen as stronger than they are, but this is effective as trying to hide a bald spot with a comb over) tend to hurt themselves (I even know of one guy who lifted too much and had to get spinal surgery as a result and is not only on disability now but has doctor's orders never to lift weights again, so there's a reason those fitness centers make you sign those forms saying you won't sue them if something like that happens).