Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(07-03-2020, 11:52 PM)Bhp91126 Wrote: I think Americans themselves are to blame for the recent increase in new infections. It would be too easy just to blame the prez, everyone had plenty of opportunities to educate themselves on what to do and what not.

I completely agree. Given the stories we hear about how people are complaining about wearing masks, going out without maintaining proper social distance, having parties, crowding at bars.....we're doing it to ourselves.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

(04-28-2020, 04:14 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: I don't know how other countries are handling the shutdown but it seems the UK is giving people who are unemployed 80% of their normal salary.
That's only been true for people in recognised employment or some classes of the self-employed. Those of us who are self-employed sole-traders, who earn below the tax threshold, and yet somehow manage without tapping into the social security system get no help at all, even though we've lost all our paid work too.

Yesterday (Tuesday 7/7) there were 52 new coronavirus deaths and 310 new positive tests announced by Murphy on Tuesday for the state of NJ.

(07-08-2020, 05:09 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: Yesterday (Tuesday 7/7) there were 52 new coronavirus deaths and 310 new positive tests announced by Murphy on Tuesday for the state of NJ.
For yesterday (7/7) Florida registered 10,044 new infections. On the “bright” side: Disney opens this weekend and all schools have been ordered to open on August 10.  Barf Barf Barf
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I can't believe they are opening Disney or the schools.

With all that is going on, no one could pay me to get on a plane and go to Disney.
[-] The following 1 member Likes CellarDweller's post:
  • Bhp91126

@Bhp91126 This is strictly Florida?

Yeah I can't believe they're worried about opening Disney either... I mean I get that people want to get out and do stuff, but there's a lot of stuff you can do and not find yourself in a large crowd or putting yourself and others at risk. However, I fear that at the rate we're going it isn't going to matter.

All this because people at least from what I have observed, simply won't put on a damn mask. So I think Fauci is right we will probably see 100k cases a day nationwide and people will remain numb to it until nearly everyone will know someone who is a family member, friend or a co-worker who is dying in a hospital on a ventilator from it.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

@InbetweenDreams yep, FL only
Bernd

So I have a question for those who properly read about covid. When flu season goes into full affect isn't it possible for the virus to mix with the flu?
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

(07-09-2020, 09:41 PM)ceez Wrote: So I have a question for those who properly read about covid. When flu season goes into full affect isn't it possible for the virus to mix with the flu?
Not a scientist but I think the fear is that people who are weakened by surviving one virus are more in danger of dying from the other virus and don’t ask me what would happen if you had both at the same time. Huh Huh Confused
Bernd

[-] The following 1 member Likes Bhp91126's post:
  • ceez

@ceez @Bhp91126

Here in the southern half of the globe this was the major concern once winter hit, because it would coincide with predicted peaks of SARS-CoV-2 infections. Where I live winter did come right about when cases were soaring in May/June (in a normal year respiratory illnesses put a lot of stress in the public health care system as it is). Back in March government was (in what was one of the few good measures it has taken so far) hellbent on getting all suceptible people their flu shots.

So far I haven't heard authorities publicly say anything about co-infections or at least give a spread of confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases vs other respiratory viruses.

Here is a bit of information on the subject

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7213830/

Co-infections can happen which is not exactly a good thing, but influenza can be prevented at least by a vaccination campaign.

The main problem is obviously a further strain on healthcare centers that are already stressed out enough due to ongoing SARS-CoV-2 infections. And collapsed health centers is what drives mortalities to rise.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]
[-] The following 2 members Like Insertnamehere's post:
  • ceez, InbetweenDreams