Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousin
So,
I have a cousin who I think is gay. For the past five or six years I have seen pictures of him with like pride stuff in the background or his Facebook pictures containing pictures of him and groups of other guys who Facebook says they are interested in men. He had a video of him on Facebook with others from the LGBT clapping on the New York stock exchange. I've never brought it up because I wasn't ready to discuss myself. He lives in New York City but moved back to Colorado for a while. He is currently at home with his parents ad working. He and I have hung out and have seen a few movies since the spring.

Anyway, I have recently come to the conclusion that there is a strong possibility of me being gay. When he and I go out we just shoot the breeze about family and life in general for a quick minute before a movie starts. I've truly wanted to talk to him about sexuality in general, but I don't know how to bring it up. I'm pretty sure he's gay and I would love to talk to him about me, but I don't know how to bring it up. I don't want to flat out ask because he has never come out to me or anyone in the family. So, he may not feel like he should tell me and say no or joke around with me, because that's how we act sometimes. I feel like he could have some good insight and would be a great person to talk to, I just don't know the best way to talk to him about it.

How should I approach him on this subject without him feeling a threat?

If you feel comfortable you could come out to more of your family. I bet he would find out soon enough.

You guys share any common interests, ask him if he would go skiing with you this winter.

I think close family and a friend or two really have figured it out. What ever approach you like is really fine enough. I am sure even if you hang with him a little you would feel more comfortable to talk about it. Good luck.

Asking 'How do you feel about gay rights?' Starts the perfect conversation about homosexuality. Have a serious discussion about it and maybe things will fall into place.

Just approach it maturely and things should be a-Okay! Smile

You could also ask what he thinks of same sex marriage to get the ball rolling on the topic.

Say "we are family? no?" and watch his eyes very closely! Sagrin

Sounds great that you have a close family member you could possibly confide in and have some support!
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

"Yo, Dude! - I was like, you know, looking at your Facebook page. A lot of your picutures have rainbows in them, is there are reason for that?"

Blue Wrote:You could also ask what he thinks of same sex marriage to get the ball rolling on the topic.

To get the ball rolling? Wink Sorry, I'm in a silly mood!

Thanks everyone.

I have not mentioned anything about my sexuality to anyone in the family at anytime. We come from a very charismatic christian family, even some ordained ministers in the family, so mentioning sexuality would not go over well. Besides our family isn't that close. I'm pretty sure his parents know about him but they have never told me or my other family members. I could bring up gay marriage. It's worth a try.

"I'm a rainbow warrior. Are you recruiting?"
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Double007 Wrote:Thanks everyone.

I have not mentioned anything about my sexuality to anyone in the family at anytime. We come from a very charismatic christian family, even some ordained ministers in the family, so mentioning sexuality would not go over well. Besides our family isn't that close. I'm pretty sure his parents know about him but they have never told me or my other family members. I could bring up gay marriage. It's worth a try.

I would simply ask him if he is gay, if he hangs around the pride groups and has gay friends but is in fact straight it probably isn't a question that bothers him. if he is gay but doesn't want the f family to know just yet, tell him you will not out him. Perhaps let him know you are curious your self.

But I would just ask. "Hey cousin, are you gay?" "I only ask because your Facebook seems to indicate you are." "can I talk to you about it?"