Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover for my book (Need cover opinions)
clean hands clip art

[Image: n4zR8l.jpg]

Take 2

As to those wondering about the symbolism behind the cover -- no, it's not about animals. There are few, if any poems about animals in the book. The meaning behind the cover is freedom -- liberation from enslavement due to beauty. The title of the book is from one of the poem's titles in the book, which tells about my relationship with a pedophile when I was fifteen years old.

I like the swan more, but the colors and font need to be changed (ETA: Take 2 is good!). The seagull makes me think of not wanting to get pooped on as he flies over my head or squawking for any food I have. :redface:

jaxc Wrote:both are pretty lame, you need something awesome like a macho hero holding a babe on top a hill of defeated enemies, Uzi in one hand, claymore sword in the other, oh and add a unicorn too:biggrin:

Marketing people usually get covers for books that have nothing to do with the story. For example I once read a Ravenloft Choose Your Adventure (I forget what it's actually called) that had the pic of an elf fighting a ghost on the cover and when I mentioned there wasn't a single elf in the book (and you certainly don't play one) I was told by Roger E. Moore (who used to work for the company that made the said book) that market research showed putting an elf on the cover automatically upped sales by like 20%, thus explaining the cover (dare I call it false advertisement?).

And when I went to a writing group for awhile there were a couple of professional writers who shared similar stories about putting covers like you described, but also with a woman scantily clad (sometimes just the woman). This was so common that a scifi author invented a song that became popular with other authors that went like this (to the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands):

There's a bimbo on the cover of my book.
There's a bimbo on the cover of my book.
She is blond and she is sexy,
She is nowhere in the text, she
Is the bimbo on the cover of my book!

(I think I may have heard a version that included, "She's near naked and busty, and altogether lusty, there's a bimbo on the cover of my book")

And I found this (which gives credit for the song above):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ma...tibleCover

Well...having read some of your poetry I will definetly be looking out for it!

BeautifulBlue Wrote:[Image: n4zR8l.jpg]

Much better IMHO Smile

"Take 2" works beautifully. Thumbgrin

BeautifulBlue Wrote:[Image: n4zR8l.jpg]

PerfectBighug

I much prefer the background image of the first cover but I think that the second cover is much cleaner and looks more professional and nice.

I think depending on the content of the poems, either could be the more appropriate one.

The first carries with it the feeling of mystery, and is darker than the second. The second cover, to me, has more light and open, maybe even hopeful feelings attached to it.

But overall I think I like the second cover better, ^^ I hope that was helpful.

Ah that revised swan pic. is refreshing to the eyes. But is it misleading? Are the poems dark and dreary? Or are they as the cover appears, Calm tranquil and fluffed with feathers?

ManicLewis asks a great question. But then you should never judge a book by it's cover.

Love the latest cover, but I believe the water is still too dark in the background. Just my opinion.

But Nice Job Blue!!!