Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cows Being Fed....Skittles?
Apparently the cows taste the rainbow... Eh...worst joke ever.

Anyway, so apparently some farmers are cutting more corners as if feeding corn to cattle isn't bad enough feeding their cattle red colored skittles. However, looks like most of them wound up on the highway....

http://www.sciencealert.com/us-farmers-h...eir-cattle

You are what you eat and this is one case where capitalism has some negative side effects. I think this just shows that we really have a bigger problem at hand with the food industry.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Corn = simple carbs. Skittles = simple carbs. Yes, feedlot beef uses all the waste "food" from the industrial food system. Feedlot beef is about all you can find in most stores.

If you want meat from cows that were only on pasture, you have look for grass finished (not grass fed) beef. All cows start on grass before getting sold at the sale barn, shipped to a feed lot, fattened up on just about anything.

Grass finished beef has a different taste and texture. It has to be cooked differently. If you were raised on conventional beef, then grass finished may be an acquired taste for you.

From my reading on the whole deal about why feeding cows corn is such a bad thing was that one it supposedly causes the cows to produce more methane and less omega 3's in the meat (by a good factor). I think those were the two major bullet points.

I can't say whether or not I have had any grass finished beef or not but I did this morning have some jerky from grass fed beef (not sure if that meant only grass or whatever)...I did notice a big difference in the taste for sure...

All I can say is healthier livestock probably means healthier meat....which we could probably stand to eat less of...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!