Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy event for charity
So my friend talked me into a crazy event... her organization is called Her Justice and they provide free legal services to women who are victims of domestic violence in NYC.

The event, called Story By Story, is a 43-floor stair climb. It was my first time doing it and I had no idea what to expect. I was on the older side of the participants. You had the option of doing 23 floors or the full building, and some crazy people wore weight belts, or (in at least one case) oxygen tanks.

I did okay... I started out aggressively, taking steps two at a time as I do at home, but quickly realized this was a bad idea. I paced myself better and took a minute every 10 floors to let my heart rate go down. After the 30th, I did so every 5 floors, because I got a little bit of a cramp.

In retrospect I really didn't do enough to train (did a six mile walk in sand last week, and that was about it) but I also didn't think I did badly, and I felt fine very shortly after finishing. If I did it again I think I'd do more practice in my office building (which is only 5 floors, but better than nothing).

[Image: picture.php?albumid=1028&pictureid=6859]

Got totally busted taking this cute dude's picture. You're welcome!

Well done.

As you noted, taking the stairs 2 at a time is not the best approach. 43 floors is a marathon and not a sprint...even for youngsters.....

Hopefully they raised a truckload of money.

I raised $265
My team raised $1,236
Total so far $632,164

My first thought is that it would be easy BUT if I spend a few more minutes thinking about it I know it would be very difficult. Congrats! I think it is an innovative (and healthy) way to raise money!

By the fifth floor I was like "Dude, you are so out of shape" but once I got into a sustainable rhythm it didn't get much worse... til the cramp..

Climbing 100 stairs daily is actually my hobby. Great job!!! I wish I could participate in such marathons.