Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Criticism on a poem I made. Honest criticism.
I read it last night, I was going to read it again this morning to get a better understanding as i was REALLY tired, but alas it has gone. I was going to begin by saying good for you for being brave to share it! And NOT posting anon, like you thought about doing. It really wasn't bad, you’ll only ever know if its any good by putting it our there, unabashed. Look forward to hearing your next work.

You know how ideas always seem great after like 1 or 2 AM? That.

Thanks everyone though, I've gotten what I needed!

SolemnBoy Wrote:You know how ideas always seem great after like 1 or 2 AM? That.

Thanks everyone though, I've gotten what I needed!

I understand posting something you created is not easy, I find it particularly difficult because I hate putting out my work to be seen by others and I'm my own worst critic.

I've only posted poetry once on this site (http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=15472), and there's a reason for that because it nearly drives me to a breakdown to put that stuff out there.

OrphanPip Wrote:I understand posting something you created is not easy, I find it particularly difficult because I hate putting out my work to be seen by others and I'm my own worst critic.

I've only posted poetry once on this site (http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=15472), and there's a reason for that because it nearly drives me to a breakdown to put that stuff out there.

It's more a matter of how it's perceived. For me anyways. Having influences is fine but when you lack the talent and refinement to properly incorporate them into your own writing it'll come off as shallow at its best and pretentious at its worst. If there's one thing I wouldn't be able to stand it'd be to have people read something I made and identify it as empty words from a third rate, inexperienced Poe wannabe. Writing isn't even a very big part of my life, I do it solely for my own enjoyment, but it'd still put me off.

You seem to put more thought into your creations than I usually do. I liked your poem, for whatever it's worth.

Where your poem gone Sole? I wanted to read it.

SolemnBoy Wrote:It's more a matter of how it's perceived. For me anyways. Having influences is fine but when you lack the talent and refinement to properly incorporate them into your own writing it'll come off as shallow at its best and pretentious at its worst. If there's one thing I wouldn't be able to stand it'd be to have people read something I made and identify it as empty words from a third rate, inexperienced Poe wannabe. Writing isn't even a very big part of my life, I do it solely for my own enjoyment, but it'd still put me off.

You seem to put more thought into your creations than I usually do. I liked your poem, for whatever it's worth.

Don't worry about wearing influences on your sleeve, very few writers start out breaking new ground in poetry (Arthur Rimbaud is the only wunderkind poet I can think of). Writing a poem seeking to emulate a poet's style is a great way to learn technique in a visceral way rather than just intellectually, you get a feel for the difficulty of doing it well and get a deeper understanding of it.

Always remember the old adage: "Good artists borrow, great artists steal".

I know there are websites where you can upload your short stories or novels for others to give you their opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some focused on poetry too Smile