Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cross dressing debate
stu Wrote:Have you ever seen a man wearing some "womens clothes" and some "mens clothes" at the same time?

Michael in The Office. In one episode he wears a woman's vest while still has his male shoes on.

When a person dawns the clothing of the opposite sex, that is cross-dressing.

I think if there was less stigma attached to it I'd be more than happy to wear women's underwear and the rest mens as the feminine cut would make me feel more comfortable whereas mens feels wrong. Wouldn't consider that crossdressing though.

I think this is more a case of how the clothes are percieved rather than an issue of fairness.

Men's clothes are just more neutral, and don't really have any 'masculine' qualities, pretty much anyone can wear them (minus sports gear and jocks and whatnot >.>) ...Women's clothes identify as being solely feminine, which deeply undermines masculinity, which is a fragile and prized posession for the majority of straight men.

Plus, women care less about junk like that, they're not as insecure as us on some things.

Sil Wrote:I think this is more a case of how the clothes are percieved rather than an issue of fairness.

Men's clothes are just more neutral, and don't really have any 'masculine' qualities, pretty much anyone can wear them (minus sports gear and jocks and whatnot >.>) ...Women's clothes identify as being solely feminine, which deeply undermines masculinity, which is a fragile and prized posession for the majority of straight men.

Plus, women care less about junk like that, they're not as insecure as us on some things.

a skirt is "neutral" as you put it,why is that more right for a woman than a man? some clothing is designed to fit a women better but those that fit a man as good are still seen as cross dressing, but I do sort of see your point that it is not as noticable when a women wears men's clothes.

Pseudo Rob Wrote:I met a man on the bus who was wearing a skirt and a top hat. :tongue:
But you're from Ankh-Morpork. Isn't that sort of thing normal?

women wearing man like clothes is a common thing. That's the reason it doesn't feel odd.

A butch lesbian who just happens to wear men's clothing is not cross-dressing, in my opinion. However, if she were to go all out in what would be known as a drag king persona, that would be cross-dressing.

Just like a man who puts on a dress but does not adhere to drag queen rules of makeup is not a cross-dresser but merely a man in a dress.

At least that is how I view it.

simon Wrote:a skirt is "neutral" as you put it,why is that more right for a woman than a man? some clothing is designed to fit a women better but those that fit a man as good are still seen as cross dressing, but I do sort of see your point that it is not as noticable when a women wears men's clothes.

I think you've misread my ramble a little... Rolleyes

I feel it's men's clothes that are more neutral - A skirt or dress is a purely feminine item outside of the bounds of fashionable sarongs, kilts and such (although interesting that kilts are manly!)

It is not a question of what is 'right' as that would be a moral statment, and judgemental; I have no problems with crossdressers/TVs or dispute what they wear.

I don't make up the rules - but skirts are for women, in a societal sense. They carry a symbol of being feminine and beautiful, thus they attract some men to wear them in the first place. It is more right because of habits and customs formed over centuries of fashion and dress.

Womens clothes for the most part, fit and feel much better that mens clothes. I am not talking about shape-wear or any thing like that but panties, jeans, some tops, even tennis shoes can be much more comfortable to wear. Mens pants, unless you pay big bucks, are heavy and sloppy. Womens pants, even cheep ones, feel much lighter and I like the fit.