Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DADT repeal passes the house
say what?
i hope this isn't false hope, but the house has just passed Dont Ask Don't Tell repeal, now it has to pass others, and lastly, our prseident who has flip flopped and last voiced against DADT repeal before when it got close to coming to him

To be honest, I don't see it passing anywhere else... :\

It passed in the Senate, folks.

Senate votes to overturn military gay ban - Yahoo! News

Obama and the Dems have to pass this because they committed political suicide with the Liberals lately and they cannot afford to lose this much of their base....this is purely a political move...as much as not repealing it has been in the past.

It got 5 more votes than it needed to pass ;-)

Whatever, this is one stage further ... dare we hold our breath?

It's still amazing that such a policy was enacted in the first place. And by someone like Bill Clinton, at that. I really liked the guy, can't understand why he would do something like that. Greg

Being a Gay American who retired after 20 years service in the military, the repeal of DADT is near & dear to my heart. The final vote today marks the end to this draconian policy.

President Obama said today that he will sign the bill as soon as it reaches his desk, and the Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs (who both support repealing DADT) will also certify the bill.

There is a 60 day waiting period following certification, this waiting period was purposely added to give the military time to make the transition smoothly.

All Gay, Lesbian, & bisexual American military members need to understand that the DADT law is still in effect until the transition period ends. The military may stop the investigations & discharges before the 60 day waiting period ends, but it's only a rumor at this point.

What a wonderful Christmas this is turning out to be, especially for the 65,000 Gay, Lesbian, & Bisexual American troops who are currently serving under the DADT law. I can only imagine their quiet exuberance at knowing this burden will be lifted in a few short months.

DADT is about to become part of American HISTORY...Hurray!!! Biggrina

This is wonderful news! This DADT law has been around for a long time and it's finally going to be a thing of the best. I like how everything is progressing these days.

As far as I am aware this is the only purely gay rights bill (i.e. not part of a larger non-gay rights bill) ever to pass the U.S. Congress. If I am wrong please tell me, if I am right I am not sure what to make of that fact.

Also I am looking forwards to U.S. Marines discovering that a few of their macho comrades are gay, and then carrying on as normal. Just like their Commandant said they wouldn't.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.