Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DADT repeal passes the house
They did he signed it

Mr. Not So Lonely Wrote:Do not wish to bust every ones bubble .... however Unless the Uniform code of Military Justice ( UCMJ) is changed the persecution will not end

Now you really have me confused!
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

ok passed congress passed senate Obama signed it UCMJ changed this happened THIS morning 12/ 22/ 2010

I am sorry but I really don't understand what you meant by your post which I quoted above.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:I thought only Congress could change the UCMJ? Although the President as Commander-in-Chief could exercise discretion in the enforcement of its various parts?

Oh my goodness, the UCMJ is enacted under constitutional law and, therefor, is subject to the constitution. (NO part of the American government, civil or military, operates outside of the bounds of the Constitution legally, legally) Congress creates and maintains laws under the UCMJ. Congress voted to change the UCMJ when it voted to repeal DADT (it would be necessary). The last part of that change occurred when the President signed the bill into law today, thus passing the last hurdle of the presidential veto power.

The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ, 64 Stat. 109, 10 U.S.C. Chapter 47), is the foundation of military law in the United States. It was established by the United States Congress in accordance with the authority given by the United States Constitution in Article I, Section 8, which provides that "The Congress shall have Power . . . To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval forces."

(They didn't have an Air Force then, just so you are aware)

this is now unimportant as the UCMJ has now been changed and gay men may openly serve

However having served for many years i can tell you there will be A LOT of trouble as many in the military are bigots and homophobes

One of the recommendations from the Pentagon Study Group was that the UCMJ be modified.

Quote:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We recommend modification to the prohibition on sodomy in Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), and a corresponding change to the Manual for Courts-Martial (which implements the UCMJ and provides rules, policies, and procedures for UCMJ prosecutions)."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is just one of the many regulations that needs to be updated prior to lifting the ban on Homosexuals serving openly & honestly,,,, and is one of the reasons for the 60 day certification period which gives the military time to make all the necessary changes.

Merry Christmas everyone.