Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dad Knows...
Yeah, i know it shows he cares, which is great!:biggrin: But that sounds absolutly awfull in the embarrassment sense.:frown:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:... But that sounds absolutly awfull in the embarrassment sense.:frown:
Now why did Sharon Gless suddenly come to mind? Rolleyes

marshlander Wrote:Now why did Sharon Gless suddenly come to mind? Rolleyes
I am absolutly terrified that i have no idea what you are reffering too.:redface:
:tongue:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:I am absolutly terrified that i have no idea what you are reffering too.:redface:
:tongue:
Queer As Folk - American version

marshlander Wrote:Queer As Folk - American version

LOL...I was thinking Cagney and Lacey...and Nip/Tuck

As for the father thing..I agree with everyone else. Your father sounds like he is a cool dude....it is understandable that you may be uncomfortable initially but eventually you will grown to appreciate it!

Well, forgive me for saying this, but your father is a kind of a jerk. But most people are anyways. Most of the people you can choose to come out to will either not accept it or be overly supportive. A very small number will treat you in the erfect way. My advice would be to just go on on your own, the way you used to and try to avoid any interference with your father so long it concerns your sexuality.

Mr Pancake,

Clearly, your father isn't bigoted and although he may have worries wants you to be happy. Realistically, what more could you ask for.

I get the impression that your father will be happy when you bring a suitable boyfriend home to meet him.

Just my tuppence worth....
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:Well, forgive me for saying this, but your father is a kind of a jerk. But most people are anyways. Most of the people you can choose to come out to will either not accept it or be overly supportive. A very small number will treat you in the erfect way. My advice would be to just go on on your own, the way you used to and try to avoid any interference with your father so long it concerns your sexuality.

I have to disagree. What I see in his father's behavior is a desire not to lose touch with his son, and to be involved in his life. I don't see how you can fault a parent for being supportive and helpful. He's doing what a parent is supposed to do, care about and try to protect his kids.

Pankakes should take what his father says with a grain of salt, he doesn't need his father looking over his shoulder. But at least he knows that if he ever needs his family they'll be there. Those overbearing responses are grating, but they make it clear how much people really care.

Mr. Pancake Wrote:My dad asked if I was gay curious, and I said yes. Although this is half true because I've never been in a relationship where we met in person yet. But it's also a half lie, because I never felt attracted to a woman in any way, shape, or form.

So because he likes to talk he makes a looooooooooong speech, about how its hard to be gay. He said things like almost everyone hates gay guys, and gays have a much higher chance of getting an STD. Also he warned me about "predators", homophobics that pose as friendly homosexuals just so they can get alone in your apartment and beat you to death with a bat. Every time he said "gay" I cringed.

Later he brought me to a gay community called "Boy's Town" and pointed out gay people in the street. He just searched for two guys or girls together talking on a sidewalk, and just because two people of the same gender were talking to eachother automatically ment they were gay. I didnt even glance at the supposed "couples" on the streets, then later he said he wants me to go to a gay bar with him. I didnt like the idea at all, even when he was driving across the streets of this place I felt extremly uncomfortable. At the end of his tour he said "See? The gay people here are completly normal." I never knew that I thought gay people were strange, thanks for clearing that up Dad!

When we got back to his place, he said that he was glad that I was honest with him, and that he talked to me. He also said he should tell me everything that has to do with gay guys in my personal life. He seems supportive, a little too supportive in my opinion.

I stayed quiet for the rest of the night with this uneasy feeling in my stomach that wont go away. Well anyway some people might feel relieved that they came out to a family member. I didnt feel that way at all, in fact I feel a little depressed now.
Dude... be grateful please. I would KILL for my father to be this open and supportive. He doesnt know but I know he'll hate me for what I am. Hes a very hateful man. Any father who is willing to go to a gay bar with his son for his first time is a great dad to me; that and believe me ive been once its overwhelming and guys can see it if they have the skills and will see you as easy prey. My sister was with me luckily and I almost got picked up by a creepy 60 year old man just as I came out of the bathroom.
Overall, be glad he's accepted and supporting Smile

OrphanPip Wrote:I have to disagree. What I see in his father's behavior is a desire not to lose touch with his son, and to be involved in his life. I don't see how you can fault a parent for being supportive and helpful. He's doing what a parent is supposed to do, care about and try to protect his kids.

Pankakes should take what his father says with a grain of salt, he doesn't need his father looking over his shoulder. But at least he knows that if he ever needs his family they'll be there. Those overbearing responses are grating, but they make it clear how much people really care.

Besides, it's not an easy issue with people who aren't used to be around gay people. Hell, before I came out to myself, I probably tried being oversupportive as well. While trying to look natural, I only made myself awkward.

@OP: your dad's awesome! Cool