Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daddy/Mommy.....what IS that?
Something kids would ask about today, that they may not know what they are. Things that you may have grew up around or with, but are no longer around in most parts of the world...

Cassette Tapes and Cassette Players
(they are still produced, but it's hard to find them)
[Image: cassette-tape-psd4643.png][Image: Cassette-Player.jpg]

Phone Booths
(I have not seen one around in almost 20 years)
[Image: 3697994182_a0c5988446.jpg]

TV sets (and black and white TV)
[Image: old-tv-set.jpg]

Radio sets
[Image: An-old-radio-set-007.jpg]

Full Service Gas Stations
(have not seen one of these in 30 years)
[Image: shell_station_attendant.jpg]

Drive In movies
[Image: drive-in_theater.jpg]

8 Track Tape
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkIFKrB6BypzNhz1FgpiS...ZzwtO898My]
8 Track Tape Player
[Image: a.jpg]

This cracked me up:

Though I'm kinder than many. I'm sure many who give them a hard time for not instantly figuring out how to use what adults used as a kid would themselves be even worse trying to work a film projector.

That aside, it reminds me when my partner's kids (boy just turned 9, girl just turned 14) arrived in East Texas during Aug of 2011 to bring me back to California. They had fun the few days they were there but were glad to leave.

Granny's home was built many decades ago before, she was born in it, and it's seen very little upgrading (though I understand electricity and even the single bathroom got added in like 20 years after it was built...), for example no AC (and it was one of the worst heat waves, and for Texas that's saying something!). The kids were fascinated with the rotary phone my granny uses (and had to try it), though my girl is such a texter, she'd hate to be stuck with it (and while internet & cell phone service is technically available out there it sucked). The boy pointed to the bunny ears antenna on the TV and asked, "What's that?" (Strangely, we started seeing more after in California, and then I heard internet and satellite improved back in rural East Texas.)

And when my girl asked what I Love Lucy (which Granny has on VHS) was about I said, "Think Hannah Montana for the 50s, only Miley & Lilly are older, married women named Lucy & Ethel who had to deal with husbands instead of parents back when the world was black & white, and Lucy only WANTS to be in the show rather than a pop star." I think she got the general idea. Wink

Course the older generations can be a bit on the clueless side, too. The previous year I'd finally read the entire Harry Potter series and seen the movies on dvd multiple times (kids were huge fans) which got me picking up on some British slang and the like (the internet and such encouraged that, too). So I used some words frequently used in the series (from "bloody brilliant" to "bugger that") and a Texas uncle tells me to "stop talking like a Valley Girl." Rofl

A couple of the nieces and nephews are puzzled by my time piece.

My watch face is similar to this:

[Image: elg6971.jpg]

Apparently roman numerals and the old analog clock face is unreadable to children of the 21st century....

I bet most wouldn't comprehend the rotary phone....

[Image: 14188030c5a90130ecde001dd8b71c47?width=900.0]

And I just remembered a Buffy ep where magic made adults act like they're teenagers again. After the spell wears off the principal made the actual teens clean off the vandalism which was "KISS ROCKS" across the lockers. Loved Willow's response:

"Why would anyone kiss rocks?"

Rofl

I have a VHS player... We still have a Drive in Movie theatre in my town. and I have my old cassete player somewhere.

mbennet35 Wrote:I have a VHS player... We still have a Drive in Movie theatre in my town. and I have my old cassete player somewhere.

Yeah, I have a DVD/VHS combo set player in storage. LMAO.

I dont need it anymore since I have broadband internet and my pc plays all sorts of DVDs.

Pix Wrote:This cracked me up:

Though I'm kinder than many. I'm sure many who give them a hard time for not instantly figuring out how to use what adults used as a kid would themselves be even worse trying to work a film projector.

That aside, it reminds me when my partner's kids (boy just turned 9, girl just turned 14) arrived in East Texas during Aug of 2011 to bring me back to California. They had fun the few days they were there but were glad to leave.

Granny's home was built many decades ago before, she was born in it, and it's seen very little upgrading (though I understand electricity and even the single bathroom got added in like 20 years after it was built...), for example no AC (and it was one of the worst heat waves, and for Texas that's saying something!). The kids were fascinated with the rotary phone my granny uses (and had to try it), though my girl is such a texter, she'd hate to be stuck with it (and while internet & cell phone service is technically available out there it sucked). The boy pointed to the bunny ears antenna on the TV and asked, "What's that?" (Strangely, we started seeing more after in California, and then I heard internet and satellite improved back in rural East Texas.)

And when my girl asked what I Love Lucy (which Granny has on VHS) was about I said, "Think Hannah Montana for the 50s, only Miley & Lilly are older, married women named Lucy & Ethel who had to deal with husbands instead of parents back when the world was black & white, and Lucy only WANTS to be in the show rather than a pop star." I think she got the general idea. Wink

Course the older generations can be a bit on the clueless side, too. The previous year I'd finally read the entire Harry Potter series and seen the movies on dvd multiple times (kids were huge fans) which got me picking up on some British slang and the like (the internet and such encouraged that, too). So I used some words frequently used in the series (from "bloody brilliant" to "bugger that") and a Texas uncle tells me to "stop talking like a Valley Girl." Rofl

I went with a friend last week, to her grannys house. Her granny's house is almost 100 years old, she bought it brand new. And she still has the ORIGINAL "mouthpiece", hand crank phone on the wall!!
[Image: Pensacola:-Seville-Historic-District:-BW...ies_18.jpg]

Vhs
bad hair
super nintendo
bad hair
sega master system
bad hair
my innocence

Well, I may not be old, but I know all those devices. I loved using Cassette players and tapes, playing on an Atari and the Nintendo systems. I remember having to blow on the cartridges when they didn't work. My mom was a child of the eighties, and she taught us these devices when we were little. oh, anyone else know what movie from the eighties played the song 'Weird Science'?