Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Das Coming-Out (& parties)
Well, I was just looking up 'commerce' in my dictionary for a piece of translation work in German, when on the top of the same page, I noticed the first word was 'coming-out' and I found it quite amusing. I didn't realise the english equivilent is hyphenated.

Anywho, I then looked under the offerings in German and there's things like when a new album comes out etc. etc. and then the coming-out that we are all familiar with, which just so happens to be "das Coming-Out" Laugh. Then next to it I saw "~ Party - die Debütantinnenparty" - and was wondering... has anyone ever had one of these? Laugh

I personally would be SO embarassed if somebody threw one for me!!

Errr...I've never been to or heard of coming out parties.The kind I've been to is where a new couple has just moved to a new city and the father of the dude throws a party for them.Thus them making a debut.Or when a child has come of age and they are thrown a party welcoming them to adulthood.Or when a long-lost relative returns and they are introduced back to society with a party.

If it's called a Debütantinenparty... then it's all about debutantes not about gays... It would be a party given for the debutantes' first time out in high society... Am I talking sense here, or is this a phenomenon you don't know about? The Debutantes' parties normally take place in the springtime, if I am not mistaken.

princealbertofb Wrote:If it's called a Debütantinenparty... then it's all about debutantes not about gays... It would be a party given for the debutantes' first time out in high society... Am I talking sense here, or is this a phenomenon you don't know about? The Debutantes' parties normally take place in the springtime, if I am not mistaken.

Hmm I wasn't sure, because it has Coming-out and then all the stuff about debut albums etc. etc. and then it has the definition about coming-out for gay and lesbians and then it has the compound with ~party. I thought that maybe the ~party version would be offered with the first definition if it was referring to of albums etc. *shrugs* It isn't completely clear! But I know that you can have coming-out parties. I've seen them in a couple of tv programs, can't remember which ones though.

What would you do if you came home one day after having told your parents you were gay to find pink balloons everywhere and banners people had made about you having come out? I think I'd die...

Smurlos Wrote:...
What would you do if you came home one day after having told your parents you were gay to find pink balloons everywhere and banners people had made about you having come out? I think I'd die...
Lol. Depending on my mood, I'd either dance... or die.

princealbertofb Wrote:Lol. Depending on my mood, I'd either dance... or die.

Grlaugh Has anyone seen "Our John's a gay man now!" - the sketch on Catherine Tate Show? I guess it'd be something like that!

princealbertofb Wrote:If it's called a Debütantinenparty... then it's all about debutantes not about gays... It would be a party given for the debutantes' first time out in high society... Am I talking sense here, or is this a phenomenon you don't know about? The Debutantes' parties normally take place in the springtime, if I am not mistaken.
You are talking sense.

marshlander Wrote:You are talking sense.

Thanks, Marsh...
and by the way..................................................................................
it's
SPRINGTIME
today
Balloons Balloons Mexicanwave Balloons Balloons

Smurlos Wrote:Grlaugh Has anyone seen "Our John's a gay man now!" - the sketch on Catherine Tate Show? I guess it'd be something like that!
eugh
reminds me

when i told my mam, one of the first things she said was "eee you can be an interior designer and sort me house out!"

seriously if I was any closer I would have attaked.

Wilem Wrote:eugh
reminds me

when i told my mam, one of the first things she said was "eee you can be an interior designer and sort me house out!"

seriously if I was any closer I would have attaked.

Grlaugh seriously?