Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating a guy that is Disabled
it depends on the disability, it wouldn't be right to date someone that is mentally challenged but the disability described in the first post I wouldn't have a problem with.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:it depends on the disability, it wouldn't be right to date someone that is mentally challenged but the disability described in the first post I wouldn't have a problem with.

What do you mean by mentally challenged mate?

I have some close friends that have mental health problems, such as Asperger Syndrome but I think know what you mean though, but people who are mental health problems vary too though.

artyboy Wrote:Im proactive about dating, and to me I dont really see a big difference between able boded and disabled while I have been dating.

The thing Ive notice is guys don't like having relationships over 5 months is that the same with able boded people though?
Yes,, it's the same! If they are going to get bored in 5 months and want their freedom back, its not really about you or your disability, but more about their wandering sexual desires.
To answer your question, I'd date someone with a disability in a heart beat.
I grew up with a grandfather in a wheel chair from a work accident, so I have a lot of experience with that dynamic.

Well you could ask me the same question I guess too, would I date another disabled guy?

I would have to say its your heart that decides isnt it?

artyboy Wrote:and sex mate lol!

Some people are scared to commit to a relationship with a disabled person I have found, might true for all people I guess. But think it is harder for disabled people as there is a lot to scare off someone really.

I bet some people even think it is wrong to date disabled people, and to even have sex with them as the might be seen by other to be taking advantage of that person.

I've met people like this in the past. There was a time in my life when I was recovering from a really bad car accident when the fact I was in a wheelchair, using a walker, on crutches seemed to be a deterrent for some people.

That said? I also met some really -great- people during that time in my life, so you might be surprised at how many out there are open minded and willing to take the plunge with you, regardless of your disability.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I've met people like this in the past. There was a time in my life when I was recovering from a really bad car accident when the fact I was in a wheelchair, using a walker, on crutches seemed to be a deterrent for some people.

That said? I also met some really -great- people during that time in my life, so you might be surprised at how many out there are open minded and willing to take the plunge with you, regardless of your disability.

I have to agree mate, I think its difficult who ever you are really.

I have health issues which are major and limiting and not obvious to others. They have revealed to me those people in my life who care and those who don't. Most people don't, but at least I know the ones who have stuck with me are probably here for life. Add that to being very feminine and I get very lonely. But when I see so many superficial relationships around me, I feel that I don't have it so bad.

Yes, there are people who really can love someone else through thick and then. They DO exist.

If my dream guy happened to be disabled, yes I'd be with him and love him.

While I have no need to think for a second that it won't change a thing if someone I'm already in a relationship with become a disable,unless of course he has negative attitude towards it,it took some time,but I have reached the same conclusion. If the disabled guy has positive attitude towards his disability,by all mean I'll consider dating him just like anybody else. Smile

Okay, everyone is being super-awesome, and that's great. But I think the "other" side needs to be represented as well:

Nope, wouldn't do it.

I mean, deaf? Probably...might be hot. But full-on have-to-face-death, real-world-consequences "disabled".....nope.

Part of it is sorta shell-shock from living through the HIV apocalypse and having survivor's guilt a bit (quite a bit). And the rest of it is realizing that I'm a selfish impatient bastard, and someone who's disabled sure as hell doesn't deserve dealing with an asshole like me. Don't get me wrong, I will do everything in my power in this life, in this world, to ensure that differences in innate ability never limit a person in life....I sincerely believe in that. But I'm just not that guy to give a disabled person everything they deserve in life, and I know it.

It's out of love and respect that I recognize my own limitations...that is *my* "handicap". So, as if a blind man asked another for directions, I kindly offer: I'm so sorry, but I can't help you. But I sincerely hope there is someone nearby who can. For if there's someone in this world who can help you through your challenge, surely I shall be reassured that there is someone who is also willing to put up with mine. Wink

I would date a guy that is disabled. What is important to me is his personality. I would prefer someone with disability than anyone with a big ego.