Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with H8
Tulloni Wrote:Hey Brian! Just saw the video. Well done! I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. You managed to deliver a poignant message there and I feel I may have learnt something from seeing that. I (along with many others no doubt), have experienced hate in various forms over the years and it can be hard to deal with so information like this does help.

Cute cat btw! I like cats! I quite like your accent as well. It's pretty interesting!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks so much! I'm pretty pleased with this video and it's certainly something on my mind as I've had to learn these lessons myself within the last 2 months.

If you gents don't mind I just did a quick intro video. What this would be for is I'd have a 4-10 second begining of the video then this would play and then the topic would start. Any opinions? Good or bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vvxwNg...e=youtu.be

ah, pepper <3
when I'm sane, I usually put my middle finger up in the air
it's just when my head's already full of crap, I often lash out and well, I usually just leave 'the hate source' and calm my head down
as for avoiding hate, I'm not doing a good job on that! because I don't really care about what people think on what I'm doing (I only care for the positive ones and wave my middle finger to the rest of them)
and how you speed your speech, I think it's good as long as you don't talk as fast as my australian friend who talk like a bullet train with a very deep accent, yours are just fine.
about the background, I like it when it's less white/empty/plain. I like it when you have things around you, things that people usually don't bother to look at (like sofa, plain desk with lamp on it) or something that attract less people attention, I often ended up looking at your wall ornament (I think it's hypnotizing me) got lost in thought and I have to rewind the video when I realize I haven't paid any attention to it
overall, it's a nice one!
will you make a video about you and your cat's daily life? I'd love to watch that

Tulloni Wrote:Hey Brian! Just saw the video. Well done! I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. You managed to deliver a poignant message there and I feel I may have learnt something from seeing that. I (along with many others no doubt), have experienced hate in various forms over the years and it can be hard to deal with so information like this does help.

Cute cat btw! I like cats! I quite like your accent as well. It's pretty interesting!

Keep up the good work!

What accent? Brian is from Ontario. We don't have accents. eh?

BrianNorth Wrote:Thanks so much! I'm pretty pleased with this video and it's certainly something on my mind as I've had to learn these lessons myself within the last 2 months.

If you gents don't mind I just did a quick intro video. What this would be for is I'd have a 4-10 second begining of the video then this would play and then the topic would start. Any opinions? Good or bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vvxwNg...e=youtu.be

It is very professional....but I don't think it conveys your warmth and sense of humour and kindness.....having said that....I don't know what I'd suggest.....

I deal with various forms of hate on a regular basis.
Either homophobic, racial or just plain random.
I am somewhat effeminate I'd say so every now and then I'd cop homophobic crap from straight and gay men, mostly straight though if it does happen.
I was having a conversation with this one lady who was talking about her new haircut and would say how she'd feel offended when she would be mistaken for Asian. I suppose to her I didn't look Asian or it was an accidental slip of thought.

At least three to four times a month, when I go running outside as I can't stand treadmills, I will have either random things thrown at me from cars driving by and/or abuse yelled at me.
Most of the time the things miss or they go by so fast I don't catch what they were yelling.

I'm so used to it at this point that I just take everything in my stride.
I don't even bat an eyelid, I just nod to acknowledge that it happened and then leave it at that.
This is probably why my natural position when walking around in public is looking at the ground, maybe a bit of subconscious ostrich coping mechanism whereby if I can at least not see it happen, it feels less shitty.

What can you do honestly?
Life will continue on and I don't want fall behind.

I've personally dealt with various types of hate.
Homophobic, racial and sometimes just plain random acts of hate.

I admit that I have effeminate nuances in my personality and because of that I cop flack for both straight and gay men whenever someone does comment on it. The amount of gay guys who immediately associate effeminate qualities to "a guy trying to be a girl" never runs dry.

Don't even get me started about the unspoken (or perhaps spoken but wildly hated) hierarchy of race and the gay social world. Aside from that, it was just a month ago I was having a conversation with this lady and she was talking about how annoyed she gets when mistake her for an Asian from afar because of her new haircut. I suppose I didn't look Asian to her or it was just a slip of her mind.

On top of that, at least 3-4 times a month whenever I go running outside, as I cannot stand running on a treadmill, people driving by will try to hurl things at me or yell abuse at me or a mixture of the two. Thankfully most of the time it misses or they drive by so fast I never catch what it is they are trying to say.

Over the years I think I've just developed a tolerance to it and now I just learn to take everything in my stride. At the end of the day, people are entitled to their opinion and to be honest I am not looking to change it. What I'd actually prefer is that for whatever reason if someone doesn't like me then that's fine, but at least be respectful enough to just leave me alone.
Anyway whenever I'm out and about in public I normally walk staring at the ground so that if ever these things do happen, at least not seeing it makes it that little bit easier getting over it.