Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death and all his Friends
I'm personally agnostic, I don't know. I'm comfortable with the idea that there's plenty just beyond my comprehension. My GUESS would be that IF there's a "life after death" then it's some unknown universal (or maybe even just planetary) field that is channeled through our brains (like picking up a signal) that is distorted (and limited) by ego & biology, and after the biology is gone (death) then one would "return to the source" (which technically is about the same as nonexistence, though not EXACTLY...maybe more like the rain drop that rejoins the ocean...but the ego, the individuality, what would that be like?).

I'm tired, I don't feel like saying more. If I don't get back to this in a couple of days then please remind me (perhaps by PM because I don't always see these threads as they're bumped) to share about these 2 things:

1. Spontaneous memories of being other people (not that I claim these memories are true, or if they are that I didn't somehow tap them from an "astral memory bank" by having a "similar frequency") and...

2. Freya.

I've never really been afraid of death even though it's so uncertain. I personally don't believe anything of particular significance occurs after death; no afterlives; no reincarnation and nothing in general besides the decay of the body.

I remember once when I was around 10 and my older friends took me to an amusement park. They wanted to ride this huge rollercoaster I was barely tall enough to be permitted to. I agreed because I didn't want to hold them back and, besides, it did look sort of fun in a terrifying way. During the actual ride I was feeling very uncomfortable and frightened. At one point I started thinking "what if this thing breaks down and I fall down to my death?" and then, only seconds after: "oh well".

That's sort of an attitude I've had all along. I'm not apathetic or suicidal but when I find myself in a situation I perceive as dangerous I realize that I don't really mind dying. I sort of reflect on the people I'd leave behind and how they'd feel after my death and it's not as if I WANT to die because right now I'm more or less in love with life but... I don't really mind. Is that strange? Then again I was a pretty morbid child. Me and my brother would stage each other's deaths and stuff ^_^

damn it im not reading anyone else’s posts or i wont say what i want to say so sorry if any of this has already been said.

im afraid of dying though less afraid of death, for a person to say "theres no afterlife" because theres no proof is just stupid, everything is proof, a leaf, a ripple, a blank wall

yes a white light can be a headache, a passing shadow a trick of the light but sometimes its not

death is a mystery, as much as life

I'm afraid of dying, mostly because I still have some many things that I want to do. I often think of what happens after I die. i guess the world just keeps moving on, but I feel left behind. Plus, what would have a million or billion years later? Would the world cease to exist? Would we cease to exist? It's kind of really weird. Do we really reincarnate? Then, when we close our eyes at our death bed, what would we see when we open our eyes? So many questions and mysteries!

Kinda odd for this thread to start today of all days.

I don't like death in any capacity; it seems something best avoided as long as it is possible and appropriate.
Though the thought of an afterlife is comforting, I see no reason to believe such exists.

Genersis Wrote:Kinda odd for this thread to start today of all days.

I don't like death in any capacity; it seems something best avoided as long as it is possible and appropriate.
Though the thought of an afterlife is comforting, I see no reason to believe such exists.

so you could also say you see no reason NOT to believe in one and i think most people would agree that death is something best avoided lol

Just wait and see... just wait and see...

I am more afraid of dying than I am of being dead. Maybe I should fear the latter more, maybe not, or maybe I should not fear either of them.
I do not care for an afterlife. If Christianity or Islam were true, I would choose to burn in Hell forever. I lack the fantasy to imagine this scenario and don't suspect this will be the case, and as such I can't say this makes me brave.
To me, every day is another day I come closer to death. Oblivion is my fate, and it is oblivious to what I think or feel of it.
In a way, I already have been dead. In the words of Vladimir Nabokov:
"The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred heartbeats an hour)."
- - Nabokov, Vladimir. (1951). Speak, Memory: A Memoir.
I have some fear of death, but I have much more worry for the despair a premature death of mine would cause for my mother and brothers.
If I was in a scenario where my sacrifice would be conciliatory to the life of someone more precious than myself, from guilt I think I would not be able to live with myself if I chose mine over the other. I hope that if such a situation falls upon me, I would make the choice to dispose of my life to save the other, thus sparing me a life of regret and shame. Thankfully, I doubt I will ever be in such a situation.
I do not welcome death, and I make healthy choices in my life that will slow aging and prevent accidental bodily harm.
Without death, this entire planet would be overcrowded. If humans could live without dying of old age, at some point many of us would die anyway from starvation due to the lack of resources. If an end to death of old age were possible, I suggest it should only be welcomed if we were prepared to spread throughout the universe, which also may or may not be possible.
I am not sure how many mistakes I may make in my lifetime, so when I am close to death, if I cannot think to myself I made the world better in a microscopic way, I would like to at least think to myself I was a factor for good.

Chase Wrote:I am more afraid of dying than I am of being dead. Maybe I should fear the latter more, maybe not, or maybe I should not fear either of them.
I do not care for an afterlife. If Christianity or Islam were true, I would choose to burn in Hell forever. I lack the fantasy to imagine this scenario and don't suspect this will be the case, and as such I can't say this makes me brave.
To me, every day is another day I come closer to death. Oblivion is my fate, and it is oblivious to what I think or feel of it.
In a way, I already have been dead. In the words of Vladimir Nabokov:
"The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred heartbeats an hour)."
- - Nabokov, Vladimir. (1951). Speak, Memory: A Memoir.

I have some fear of death, but I have much more worry for the despair a premature death of mine would cause for my mother and brothers.
If I was in a scenario where my sacrifice would be conciliatory to the life of someone more precious than myself, from guilt I think I would not be able to live with myself if I chose mine over the other. I hope that if such a situation falls upon me, I would make the choice to dispose of my life to save the other, thus sparing me a life of regret and shame. Thankfully, I doubt I will ever be in such a situation.
I do not welcome death, and I make healthy choices in my life that will slow aging and prevent accidental bodily harm.
Without death, this entire planet would be overcrowded. If humans could live without dying of old age, at some point many of us would die anyway from starvation due to the lack of resources. If an end to death of old age were possible, I suggest it should only be welcomed if we were prepared to spread throughout the universe, which also may or may not be possible.
I am not sure how many mistakes I may make in my lifetime, so when I am close to death, if I cannot think to myself I made the world better in a microscopic way, I would like to at least think to myself I was a factor for good.

Interesting idea that we've already been "dead".

I'll need to think about that one for a bit!

Smile

Burning in hell?

That's very much a Christian/Judaic invention to control people.

Every now and then, the Christian church would burn someone alive, just as an example of what they had to power to make happen to you if you didn't conform to their way of thinking.