Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
December 21st, 2012.
So, apparently, quite a few people believe that the world will end on this date, and have believed so for quite some time. The main reason, from what I've gathered, is that the mayan calandar supposedly ends on this date -- and people take that as a sign that world will end. Personally, I think it's complete rubbish and nothing will happen.. but I have a friend who truly believes it will be the end, and he's completely stressed out and paranoid over it.

Has anyone else heard of this rumor? Thoughts? Beliefs?

As said above, I'm not worried in the slightest. I just hope it hurries up so people can come up with a new date to worry about :p

Laughable. It's utterly laughable.

Completely agreed. What's funny though, is that I've heard this rumor since high school, and I'm now 28 years old. Even though I'm really NOT worried.. I can't help but at least entertain the idea, since I've heard it for so long. That said.. imo it will be just another day crazy people stalk up on supplies they don't need and hide in their basements until the next day begins :p lol.

I just can't wait to point in my former best friend's face and laugh.

It's not really a rumor. More like a dead civilizations inability to fit any more days onto their calendar. Also, according to their belief, the world isn't supposed to end, rather, it's supposed to undergo a radical change or some sort of new beginning. Or so i'm told. I don't believe in it, but nothing better happen 'cause I'm supposed to go back home on the 22nd lol.

It better not, I'm going to christchurch on the 28th to see my brother. o_o

I think it's really unlikely, but I also think there's no harm in keeping an open mind.

Yeah, plenty. It's even a major basis for one of my favorite line of novels (Shadowrun, mix of urban fantasy and cyberpunk, though it was more of a transformation, but still an end given I think over a billion died pretty fast and how radically the geopolitical environment changed in just the first decade with more changes to follow) which published their first novel in 1990.

Anyway, I heard some were suicidal over the supposed end, I guess because they can't stand the suspense (I have heard of people in life threatening situations at sea that didn't survive because they killed themselves, or just let themselves die, as they couldn't stand the terror and no immediate rescue was forthcoming). Others, no doubt, will see it as an excuse to get obscenely into debt (I've read of that happening as "the world was ending anyway" and I guess just another version of "eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die"). I don't know whether to pity them or hold them in contempt.

What I find fascinating is how many obsess over the world and yet ignore real crisis that are actually likely, perhaps even happening already, and have suspected at times that obsessing over make believe scenerios is actually an escape from real world anxiety (they don't have to worry about so many things worth worrying about because deep down they know what they obsess over isn't real, and perhaps that means the other things they REALLY worry about won't come to pass either, and of course many New Agers and Christians believe they'll get pleasantly sucked into another dimension first and thus miss the Reckoning, Judgment, Ragnarok, or whatever you want to call it).

Honestly it's the biggest load of Bovine Scat.
The Mayan could not foresee their demise ,but could predict the end of the world in the future.

These are people that sacrificed their young for rain , g I wonder what could have happened to them, perhaps they run, out of people to sacrifice ,keep killing a generation without repopulating it .
it's not Rocket science .

i read somewhere that the mayan calendar didn't count leap years . so technically , the world ended a few months ago . at least according to the mayans ~

I think people that spread this bullshit should be shot on the date nothing happens.