Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depressed and not sure why...
I’m suddenly feeling unnaturally depressed for some reason… :frown:

Just got off the phone with my mother and she noticed as soon as I said "hello" that something was wrong, yet I can’t explain what…

I can honestly say I’ve never felt quite like this before… Cry

(Sorry, just venting I guess)

Bighug

Bighug

Bighug

Their is such a thing as seasonal depression if you've had something like this before, during other holidays seasons

Yeah, lots of people get depressed this time of year. Most get depressed and dont even know that they are depressed....while others get depressed and dont know why.

It could be seasonal changes (weather). Lots of people are susceptible to the changes in weather and seasons. It gives the feeling and sensation of being depressed, even if you are not.

It could be holiday related. Most people get depressed and stressed out this time of year because of all the holiday crap they have to put up with. This is no longer a happy time of year. In fact, there are more deaths, more damage, more suicides, more violence, and just all around more negativity than the rest of the year, and a lot of people get depressed over that.

It could be changes in your personal life. Anything from not getting that raise or promotion at work, to not getting the school grade you thought you would get, to getting dumped or rejected romantically. Or thinking about something happy that happened in your past, that happened this time of year, and you miss that.

To help fight it--
Read some fun books.
Run, jog, ride a bike, or just walk.
Exercise.
Give your home or apartment a good cleaning.
Start a hobby.
Volunteer some time to shelters, hospitals, or animal shelters.
Just keep busy when you feel it coming on.

Oh, we share Canadianess. I therefore agree with the above Gspeakers that the season is probably contributing to decreased optimism, comfort, well being, whatever.

I still feel that I have to insist there are causes for you feeling this way. Yes, the eternal darkness of winter does make everything a little bit worse, but usually with some digging we can find out what we're trying to avoid when we're down.

Importantly, try not to mope around and try to figure out what that is. Force yourself to do things, to keep moving, reading, walking, working/schooling/whatever you do... don't lay in bed and do nothing, because if you you do that you'll not going to feel better for a very long time. Usually, given time, you'll start to feel better... but if you don't, it's definitely a possibility that outside help should become involved.

And if you feel this way for an extended amount of time, there's no shame in that Smile.

When I feel down I try to force myself to be social. I have isolated myself and that never helps, so I've learned to avoid it. Even smalltalk with strangers -- at the post office, market, or coffee shop -- is helpful interaction. Friends are even better. I hope you find your way out!

MisterTinkles Wrote:This is no longer a happy time of year. In fact, there are more deaths, more damage, more suicides, more violence, and just all around more negativity than the rest of the year, and a lot of people get depressed over that.
This is actually an often repeated myth. November/December/January have the lowest suicide rates in the US. Late spring and early summer are highest. [source] I don't know if anyone has figured out why.

So enjoy the holidays!

This dinkhead takes about 3 minutes to get to the point, but he has some good points.

Just remember, this is ONE viewpoint on depression.

Getting out of a Rut....

If you understand what this guy is actually saying, then it will help you.
If you dont understand what he is saying, then never mind.

Seasonal Affected Disorder - it is common enough for people of the higher latitudes - however doctors continually misdiagnose it.

You should get a psychologist (therapist) and do a few session to rule out other potential causes for the blues. I would strongly recommend that over seeing a psychiatrist who may throw general antidepressants at you which do NOT work on SAD and often make the problem far, far worse.

Manitoba has harsh winters and many summer lovers find it quite hard to live with. Maybe find some activities in the snow that you enjoy.

One thing that I love doing is sledding down a steep hill and running back up over and over. After a while, you will get so hot that you can take your jacket off and not be cold. It's such a sensational feeling.

Also, whenever it's sunny and somewhat warm, get the hell outside. Even though it's not summery, being outside still feels great.

Another good way to counter Seasonal Affected Disorder:

Make sure your domicile has LOTS of bright lighting. Buy some more lamps if you need to. After sunset, keep all the lights on until you go to bed.