Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion
Zet Wrote:I totally feel you. No one really hired me when I had dreads, I could apply for 1000 of jobs but all jusy "Nay nay nay nay nay.... Nay nay nay nay nay". But something that I've also head behind my back (not towards me though) was someone saying "Who would hire a fat guy as a chef? I mean they're big, clumpsy, lazy, slow... They will just be in the way and wont work as effecient as a normal person, like who would even want to look like that? Doesn't that show that you're poorly dedicated? Like bitch how hard is it to run? [mumbles out "incompetent swines"] " and as an overweigh guy I found that rather offencive. Not only because of the words, but because of the lack of empathy/sympathy and ignorance, because it doesn't have to mean that you're unhealthy, not ambitious or even slow, some people just have a poor metabolism and it's hard to loose weigh. Some people...

Exactly Zetty-kins! And the kicker for me is, like I said, Dreads are prevalent here, nearly 2/4's of men and women here wear them. So it's not like it's a shocker for anyone here lol.

Zetty, I don't find you over weight even, so I'm not sure what was going on with them people, but clearly are too close minded and judgmental.

And isn't it a saying that a good Chef eats his/her own food? I guess they must want skinny bitches who eat leaves cooking prime ribs or something? :I

I'm too open minded and emotional for my own good lol I wish I could be in charge of the world for just a day....or forever :p

Well, I understand why you feel upset about it.

I will say some jobs have heavy ISO regulations, basically all that means products for human usage will request you to shave and have short hair. Surely no one would want to find a hair in a can of food, for example.

As for the hotel jobs, I find little reason as to have such requirement...

I see it on the side of the cultural part. If foreigners come to Bermuda what better than to be attended by a local? Wouldn't it be more appealing that way? But I don't know..

That said...unless you're willing to give up those dreads, don't work here..:frown:

Work place is highly conservative in this part of the world.

southbiochem Wrote:Well, I understand why you feel upset about it.

I will say some jobs have heavy ISO regulations, basically all that means products for human usage will request you to shave and have short hair. Surely no one would want to find a hair in a can of food, for example.

As for the hotel jobs, I find little reason as to have such requirement...

I see it on the side of the cultural part. If foreigners come to Bermuda what better than to be attended by a local? Wouldn't it be more appealing that way? But I don't know..

That said...unless you're willing to give up those dreads, don't work here..:frown:

Work place is highly conservative in this part of the world.

:< I know, I'm so not a Conservative lol. I don't know how those Republican gurls in Murica can deal x.x

I definitely get the whole human consumption thing, I would die if I found hair in my food :0

Oh Mars, is that your way of saying you want me to attend to you? Im-blushing-smiley
Wake up in the morning on the ocean breeze, with my Dreads trailing along your Chilayan body? :p Coffee

Dear me, Sounds like some Chilayan gurl wants to visit my lovely island xD

But I totally agree. I love different cultures, I wouldn't want to go anywhere and be immersed in the same culture as mine lol, well except for like other islands, cause that's kinda unavoidable, but you know what I mean :p I wanna go to France and get gang banged by like 9 French guys, not 9 Island guys >,>

I don't see myself offing my dreads no time soon, so I guess my ass is just fucked and not in the good way -.-

(I'm in a better mood now, evident from my jokes :> )

Forgive-me-smiley

Ha! My slight hint got through there, huh? Wink

Nah, society here is fairly conservative and while you could definitely be here with not many problems, things like getting a job would be out of the question..

I suppose it's true for other parts as well..

Oh, I don't quite know how would I do there!..haha

but, my dear, don't stop trying, I bet on more than one place you can have a job that allows you more freedom if they focus on your skills rather in how you look

Ugh it happens a lot...

Before, after i graduated, I wanna take the Human Resources career, but then all or most of them prefer Females

They say females are more organized, punctual etc... Really? You cant make generalizations like that.

Then one time, i was able to attend an interview applying for an HR Associate position in the Manila International Airport...went to series of interview only to be rejected cause they prefer female. So..why call me for interview if you prefer females? Ugh. I just wasted my time

I think there must be a company there who wouldnt care much on how a person looks...so maybe dont stop searching for them.

southbiochem Wrote:If foreigners come to Bermuda what better than to be attended by a local? Wouldn't it be more appealing that way?

The people with the money to go are most likely to think the locals (especially tats, piercings, dreads, etc) are into drugs & crime, and that at best they'll be incompetent (losing their luggage, for example), and at worst may steal from them (maybe even worse than that). They'll enjoy seeing the locals when they go out and about (not necessarily liking or respecting them, btw) but they want to sleep somewhere where they feel safe.

I've known plenty of people who admire things like Rastafarianism and would LOVE campy and local if they went but they don't have the money to go.

Sylph Wrote:Exactly Zetty-kins! And the kicker for me is, like I said, Dreads are prevalent here, nearly 2/4's of men and women here wear them. So it's not like it's a shocker for anyone here lol.

Zetty, I don't find you over weight even, so I'm not sure what was going on with them people, but clearly are too close minded and judgmental.

And isn't it a saying that a good Chef eats his/her own food? I guess they must want skinny bitches who eat leaves cooking prime ribs or something? :I

I'm too open minded and emotional for my own good lol I wish I could be in charge of the world for just a day....or forever :p

Trust me, no. That's an old saying that a fat chef is a good chef, though it kind of makes sence but the only thing they look in you when it comes to paper, is speed, endurance and productivity. They basically want you to be as fast and produce as much as a Chinese factory worker, but with the same quality of a German Engineer. Meaning that you're never good enough in the eyes of your employer. The only thing they yelled at me during my internship at that fancy restaurant was "FASTER FASTER!!!". And unfortunatly a steriotype about overweigh people are that they are slow and lazy, hence a reason why it's hard for a fat chef to get a job xD
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

Zet Wrote:Trust me, no. That's an old saying that a fat chef is a good chef, though it kind of makes sence but the only thing they look in you when it comes to paper, is speed, endurance and productivity. They basically want you to be as fast and produce as much as a Chinese factory worker, but with the same quality of a German Engineer. Meaning that you're never good enough in the eyes of your employer. The only thing they yelled at me during my internship at that fancy restaurant was "FASTER FASTER!!!". And unfortunatly a steriotype about overweigh people are that they are slow and lazy, hence a reason why it's hard for a fat chef to get a job xD

:I that's some shit.

I suppose maybe the saying is outdated, but the stereotyping needs to go too if that's the case, cause both are someone else's opinion.

Zetty, from how you talk of chef-ing, I think you are plenty good enough without needing to have 8 Arms and the Stamina of a Horse <3

I think I need to re-evaluate what I want to do, cause Mars even said so; I'll probably need a job that allows for more freedom, which is why I love music and pursue it, because it allows me to be free in all ways, except for the fact that I cannot afford to get a degree, especially abroad :\

Hey, maybe I'll start teaching Dance xD
Be that really energetic go-go dancer type Rofl

Sylph Wrote::I that's some shit.

I suppose maybe the saying is outdated, but the stereotyping needs to go too if that's the case, cause both are someone else's opinion.

Zetty, from how you talk of chef-ing, I think you are plenty good enough without needing to have 8 Arms and the Stamina of a Horse <3

I think I need to re-evaluate what I want to do, cause Mars even said so; I'll probably need a job that allows for more freedom, which is why I love music and pursue it, because it allows me to be free in all ways, except for the fact that I cannot afford to get a degree, especially abroad :\

Hey, maybe I'll start teaching Dance xD
Be that really energetic go-go dancer type Rofl

Apply to a Swedish school Wink I don't know how it will be for foreigners, but if you choose to go to college (I'm in a work educational school, I get 0 in student depts and even get a small payroll (wellfare) each month so I have enough to survive the month), You pay 0 SeKr for going in the school, and the only purpose of our student loans, is basically to cover you own charges, and a small portion of that loan is a grant, which means that the government gives you a small amount of cash, so the loan doesn't get over your head. We may not have the best schools in the world, but perhaps the school system XyxthumbsXyxthumbs
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.