Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination by religious groups to be outlawed
peterinmalaga Wrote:Yes Fred and for the first 9 years of his dictatorship Hitler discriminated. It was only from 1942 to 1945 that he implemented the policy of mass extermination. Discrimination was the necessary precursor to the extermination programme.

Discrimination was certainly a precursor, but so were a great many other things such as a functioning system of government for the German State. I still don't see how you reasonably can argue that discrimination per se is wrong just because it is one of many necessary precursors to mass extermination. Surely, the shear prevalence of discrimination and the rarity of mass extermination shows the tenuousness of the link.

peterinmalaga Wrote:Yes but discrimination is always a sign that something is wrong in a society.

If by that you are saying that everyone should be equal or treated equally in a society then I simply do not agree. In Britain we used to talk about unfair discrimination, somewhere along the line the unfair was dropped. I entirely accept that where people are unequal or treated unequally that inequality should be fair and justified, I do not accept that people necessarily ought to be treated equally when it is fair and justified that they be treated unequally.

peterinmalaga Wrote:My point about ideology is that ideologies are used to legitimize the unjustifiable in too many cases and we need to be aware of this. People think that they only have to make passing reference to the ideology in order to justify their injustices.

I entirely agree, but I think that is more about the lack of people's critical thought than the about ideology.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.