Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Brits do Thanksgiving?
I realize the obvious answer is no, but is there a yearly observance that comes close in the UK, perhaps the celebration of the hanging of Witch Goosa, or the commemoration of the Jolly Elves Procession to Quaintshire? It would seem a shame for a whole island to miss out on a good meal.
I bid NO Trump!

*Throwing shade at my British peeps*
[MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION]
Well we are talking about the folks that just celebrated the hedgehog for a national animal...?

America.. Bald Eagle
Britain .. Hedgehog. .

So.. that would probably be a no on Thanksgiving. .

Don't they just swap home made porridge on the 26 th?

*Packing up to leave town for safety *

No we don't do Thanksgiving in the UK , some people might of course but the majority do not.

Traditionally they don't.....

Thanksgiving is an Yank thing, to put into remembrance the hospitality of those Indians who welcomed the founding fathers
and attended to them when they nearly starved to death on the land, not knowing what to eat.

The Brits who do celebrate it, do so because of the Americans (or Brits) who brought with them the tradition (or after living there for a time).

thawoods Wrote:Traditionally they don't.....

Thanksgiving is an Yank thing, to put into remembrance the hospitality of those Indians who welcomed the founding fathers
and attended to them when they nearly starved to death on the land, not knowing what to eat.

The Brits who do celebrate it, do so because of the Americans (or Brits) who brought with them the tradition (or after living there for a time).
He's throwing shade too LJay ..
What he's saying here is Pocahontas only became popular because she gave it up for a slice of ham..

It's on now!!

Now, now, no shade intended. I just wonder if there is any corresponding holiday in the UK. Pocahontas was not around for either of the first Thanksgivings, the real one of which was supposed to have been in Virginia.

There must be at least one day in the year when them islanders do nothing, eat lots, and have pie. All that hard working, keeping calm and carrying on have to have some relief, right? Don't they even drink ouzo for Prince Philip's Birthday?
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Now, now, no shade intended. I just wonder if there is any corresponding holiday in the UK. Pocahontas was not around for either of the first Thanksgivings, the real one of which was supposed to have been in Virginia.

There must be at least one day in the year when them islanders do nothing, eat lots, and have pie. All that hard working, keeping calm and carrying on have to have some relief, right? Don't they even drink ouzo for Prince Philip's Birthday?
Killjoy.....

We put more effort in to Christmas being a Christian based country.

LJay Wrote:Now, now, no shade intended. I just wonder if there is any corresponding holiday in the UK. Pocahontas was not around for either of the first Thanksgivings, the real one of which was supposed to have been in Virginia.

Pocahontas' real name was Matoaka .....

We have a fair few public holidays scattered through the year, designed for doing nothing and relaxing. Unless you're a mug like me and work in retail, and therefore end up working most of them.