Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Brits do Thanksgiving?
thawoods Wrote:Pocahontas' real name was Matoaka .....

I thought that was spelled with a "C."
I bid NO Trump!

...not with what I read.

Pocahontas was also a Princess

LJay Wrote:It would seem a shame for a whole island to miss out on a good meal.

Forgive the logical approach, but what's stopping them from doing that on any actual holiday of theirs? I'm pretty sure they have a few.

Why does it have to be thanksgiving?

I'd say the celebration is too situational and continent specific to be applied to ye old Britain.

*says these wild thoughts and fades away*
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Oh they are not wild thoughts, just very literal ones. Perhaps I should have said "thanksgiving" or overfed football and parade day. Merely trying to give the UKers a chance to pipe up and describe what they perpetrate in the name of national merriment/gluttony. Were I too specific I would not have had as many bemused replies, thus spoiling the fin.

Ah, well...
I bid NO Trump!

Dat Boxing Day tho

LJay Wrote:Were I too specific I would not have had as many bemused replies, thus spoiling the fin.

Ah, well...

well, that's me....

Spoiling fun since 1987, y'all
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

thawoods Wrote:Traditionally they don't.....

Thanksgiving is an Yank thing, to put into remembrance the hospitality of those Indians who welcomed the founding fathers
and attended to them when they nearly starved to death on the land, not knowing what to eat.

The founding Fathers also took this opportunity to politely expain to these native Americans that they didn't just want this piece of land, they wanted all of the land so the native Americans had better pack up and leave. Catsmiley

[MENTION=19258]thawoods[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21709]MikeMercury[/MENTION] I can agree with both of you. I had very odd feelings when I visited the Plymouth exhibit and the adjoining Wampanoag village. Both were impressive, though I could, I now believe, fell more comfortable in the native settlement. The pilgrims were brave in setting out in a new land but they were at it in a compulsive way, imposing themselves on the place rather than living in sympathy with it.

Of course today's Thanksgiving has little to do with those days, but it is an opportunity to think on what has happened.

To the Brits: I am glad that you do not have this piece of history to deal with. Still, I hope you will enjoy a happy helping of some sort of squash pie this fall. It is marvelous stuff.
I bid NO Trump!

Alto Wrote:stick ya oats, .. bubble & squeek

That's like ..angry break up sex Dirty talk..

Keep it up buddy!!..
I'll show you how to stuff a turkey..