Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I call?
Ok, so a close friend of mine told his grandmother that I was looking for a job. She has a brother that works for a big company in a nearby city and gave me his number to call to find out about any openings but I'm incredibly nervous and it's not something I'm comfortable with. Plus I applied for a position there before and I was told I didn't quality and it doesn't seem like he would have the kind of power to hire someone. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this position and actually got a job.

ceez Wrote:... I applied for a position there before and I was told I didn't quality ...
You never know which hiring manager is looking at your resume.

ceez Wrote:... gave me his number to call to find out about any openings
if it is a large company you never know even if you got past HR. It takes very little energy to get past them. Maybe he can walk your resume to his manager, mention your name, has a friend of a friend that knows a hiring manager.

ceez Wrote:... but I'm incredibly nervous ...
never never let them know your nervous. The worst that can happen is you are still with out. No one is ever going to get up-set at their grand mother.

MOST IMPORTANT; GOOD LUCK

I would just mention to your friend to have his Grandmother see if her brother can take your resume to the hiring manager and put in a good word for you. It never hurts to try. The worse they can say is no. Best of luck!

I agree with archubbycub your key to "it can't hurt" and "it might just help" is the grandmother. If you could speak with her directly to kindly ask she speak with her brother directly on your behalf this would be very nice and maybe helpful! Certainly can't hurt to ask! Also, if the friend has any relationship with his great uncle maybe he could speak directly to him if going through the sister does not seem appropriate. It would be easy for the friend to blow off any negative reaction as he "was just trying to help a friend he knows would make a good employee." Best wishes!Wavey

btw, here's a link to some helpful employment assistance resources in your area...
http://www.careeronestop.org/ReEmploymen...rch=Search
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

You have to ask yourself what is the worst thing that could happen in you did call, then once you figure out that the worst thing that will happen is them saying 'No', then go for it because the best thing that could happen is you could end up with a job which will put you at an advantage with over 20 million people jobless in the US.

Give them a call Wink

thanks everyone, I'm going to call tomorrow.

ceez Wrote:thanks everyone, I'm going to call tomorrow.

good luck ^____^

Good luck, hope you get it

how did it go? Smile

Best of luck, how did it go?