Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer?
[MENTION=22914]Cobalt[/MENTION] As long as the USB adapter actually has an external antenna they probably don't work as well...especially the really tiny ones. I had one of those, it worked alright but it just didn't get quite as good of a signal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...isNodeId=1

Looks like newegg has it for a $1 cheaper for the PCI version, the PCI Express is about $5 cheaper, same card, different interface.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

@axel2152
Well I think I've finally picked everything. Here's a link to the full build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rNZj2R
I noticed a review on the case you recommend somebody mentioned that the extra fans are obviously not included and then they included a link to get them so I added that in. I liked the keyboard/mouse combo that lit up, I always thought those were expensive but 50 dollars wasn't bad in my opinion. I'm not thrilled that they're usb powered, I'd prefer them to be the old fashioned way, but I figure I have another USB ports on the mother board to be able to just plug those in without taking up space on the front of the case. The speakers I picked seemed cheap enough and reviewed well for the price, I figure if they're not the greatest I can always afford a better pair some other time.

So all in all I think I picked everything. Would you change or add anything?

Cobalt Wrote:@axel2152
Well I think I've finally picked everything. Here's a link to the full build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rNZj2R
I noticed a review on the case you recommend somebody mentioned that the extra fans are obviously not included and then they included a link to get them so I added that in. I liked the keyboard/mouse combo that lit up, I always thought those were expensive but 50 dollars wasn't bad in my opinion. I'm not thrilled that they're usb powered, I'd prefer them to be the old fashioned way, but I figure I have another USB ports on the mother board to be able to just plug those in without taking up space on the front of the case. The speakers I picked seemed cheap enough and reviewed well for the price, I figure if they're not the greatest I can always afford a better pair some other time.

So all in all I think I picked everything. Would you change or add anything?

Yeah on the keyboard and mouse everything is either going to USB or wireless/bluetooth...the older round (PS/2) ports are pretty much gone, although you do see a few motherboard that still come with them or have one PS/2 port but otherwise they're obsolete.

The only thing I might have to think about is whether or not you want Windows 10 Home. Some of the games may not work under Windows 10, you might see if any of those games have issues. If that's the case you will want to check about getting Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.... Or do a dual boot install of Windows 7 and Windows 10...

The other thing about Windows 10 Home is that you have less control on updates and other things like Microsoft can use your internet connection to push updates to other Windows users which kind of stinks when you're on a metered connection. There's a whole host of things. You get more control with Pro and pretty much full control on Enterprise but those editions cost a lot more and might not matter that much to you, just food for thought.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Currently on my laptop I'm running Windows 10. I installed the original Sims game on it but now I'm having trouble trying to run it. I noticed there's a couple unofficial patches/fixes for it but mine was doing something completely different. So I'm going to uninstall it tomorrow and reinstall it, try the patches, and see if those work. A lot of people seem to have a good success rate with it. Essentially the issue is with the game's DRM setup, it checks for a disc before it boots. Windows 10 isn't compatible with the specific DRM type so it can never actually start. The solution is to force the boot past that check/bypass it and autolaunch the game.

So it seems like certain games will have a problem but there are ways around them. I guess if it came down to it, that is between playing a certain game or using the latest version of Windows, I would use the latest version of Windows. Mostly for compatibility since Windows 7 support is becoming low priority or none existent (depending on the manufacturer). I do like Windows 7 more than 10 but I'm just not sure about going with 7 because of the lack of future compatibility.

One thing to keep in mind about Windows 10, some older programs may stop working, Microsoft releases new builds of Windows 10 now much like how they release new versions of Apple OS and Android, so there is a possibility that either an update or an upgrade that automatically installs may cause some programs to automatically be removed or just not work.

Aside from that you should be fine...

You can dual boot both versions of Windows, or you can even install Linux if you do anything with that.

I have pretty much left Windows 7 at this point, mostly due to poorer video performance compared to Windows 8 and 10. Otherwise I kind of liked Windows 7 better...
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]
I decided to stick with Windows 10. I did like 7 better but I can't convince myself to go backward.
I've been looking into each part over the weekend and changing a few things here and there. I'm starting to go for a blue/white theme now I noticed. And I came across this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157512
It's cheaper than the one you suggested (which for me is actually a concern. Usually I associate cheaper price with less quality when it comes to electronics sometimes) but from my comparison it looks like it's all the same specs I think? Let me know if I'm missing something.
I also changed out the case (just to match with the theme) but I don't think this subtracts from anything the cooler master one had. This one also seems to have a nifty cable management thing to it which looks convenient. And also 3 out of the 5 available case fan slots seem to be filled up with fans by default which is nice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...38566&SID=

I'm probably going to order everything in about two weeks so of course now I'm starting to second guess/micromanage everything at this point...But I have to say it is kind of fun looking up everything and comparing/contrasting.

Also, let me know if I'm pestering you at this point. I'm starting to feel real self conscious asking for all this advice/input. I usually just do everything on my own and screw up when it's appropriate.

[MENTION=22914]Cobalt[/MENTION] Me personally would stick to Gigabyte or ASUS. I don't think Asrock are bad board but you're pretty much right you generally get what you pay for.

Looks like both case and board would work otherwise.
Check out my stuff!