Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do anti-anxiety meds work?
Hey everyone. I posted last month about my anxiety, and decided I'd try to work it out on my own. I figured if I couldn't, I'd seek a therapist and consider trying meds if suggested.

Well, over the past few months I've been trying super hard to overcome my anxiety, and I've been intentialy putting myself in a lot of social situations. I feel like I've been doing better, especially when it comes to talking with people one on one, but I still have this constant feeling of being nervous. This is a feeling I pretty much have all the time when I'm out... just in some situations it's worse than others. It's something that really drags me down and makes doing things very unenjoyable...

I'm also back in college, and this quarter I'm writing for the school newspaper which brings even more stress. Earlier today I found out that we'll be having to do interviews with people on campus, and my heart about lept out of my chest. I know that probably sounds stupid, but the idea of having to interview someone and being put on the spot makes me feel completely paranoid. I worry about what I'll say, if what I want to say will come out right.. and I feel VERY uneasy. I love writing, and I've written freelance for the paper for a few quarters, but I've never had to do this..

Getting to my point, with all the stress I have over this, I've pretty much decided I want to try an anti-anxiety medication. I had a therapist in the past who suggested it, but I declined because I'm not a fan of taking pills. At this point however, I'm kind of at a "oh what the hell.." point where I'll try anything, especially during this time where I'm feeling so overwhelmed. I'm not one to think that a pill solves everything and that everyone needs to be medicated, but I have anxiety over the smallest every day things.. all day long, and it's driving me crazier than I already am Smile.

That said.. does anyone take this type of medication? Does it help with your anxiety? Any feedback could be helpful.

Thanks Smile!!

Hi... I can't answer this personally.

I have anxiety, but nothing of the crippling anxiety that some people I know have --- it's more the the laid back brand that we all get to deal with from time to time.

I do have a close friend with Avoidant personality disorder, and medication did help her to a certain extent. I think intensive therapy would have helped her more, but frankly, she wouldn't have been able to talk in front of a therapist and would have just cried.

I think both therapy and medication would give you the best chances for success, whether or not they 'work'.

I really really congratulate you for realizing you have a challenge and doing your best to meet and beat it. I hope the process goes well for you.

Thanks Smile. Truth be told, I've had a lot of challenges in my life, so this is just another one. I'm generally positive about it, despite my "issues". Sometimes it's really hard to deal with. I agree with you that therapy is probably a good idea as well. I contacted my old therapist yesterday and will probably set up a session to talk with her soon. I'll bring up the topic of medication and see what happens. My main thing is that if they really don't work (or help), I'd rather not needlessly take one. As said, I reaaally dislike taking medication (even pain killers). However in this case I will, if they can help.

Thanks again for your response Smile.

I'm on abilify which helps my three big issues
Bipolar
Depression
and the biggest of them all
AGORAPHOBIA (anxiety)

I've been on it since I about age 14 and it WORKS
I know this because the summer after high school, I stopped taking it for two reasons
Decrease my tolerance to it by flushing my body of it (this way I could take a lower dosage again)
See how badly I still needed it
During that summer, I was in hysterics. I rarely left my house and cried over the silliest thing (I cry during anxiety attacks, for the most part). It was hell.
I'm back on it along with a few other medications like
A non-stimulant ADHD medication (basically it helps focus without the side effects ritalin causes)
I just got off my anti-depressants (YAY) after being on a half dose for about a year (I was on full dosage for a year before that) (I'd like to add that without the abilify, I'd still be on the anti-depressants)
LOTS of vitamins (they help with anxiety by keeping your body's chemistry even)

In short, I approve greatly of anti-anxiety medication, but do keep in mind that it's not a fix-all and a lot of times you may go through three or four different medications before finding one that works well for your symptoms and chemistry

Other things that help are taking up a physical hobby to work out pent-up stress (I dance when I'm alone, and as I get better may take a class in burlesque dancing to improve my moves)
And as mentioned before, vitamins can help a lot (I personally don't take fish oil though. For some reason it felt like it stopped the absorption of my other medications, which was bad...)
Write! And not your usual writing. I make lists, personally, when I'm anxious. Just break out your computer and ramble in a word document, or a piece of paper and do the same! It's a great way to vent without disturbing anyone in any way.

All in all, I hope my rambling helped and I wish you so much luck
Here, have something fun to help you smile Smile

You are smart, you know what your issues are.

Meds are not for depending upon to cover up your problems, only to help you out until you get better control of them.

I would say go ahead and try them out for a couple of months. Hopefully they will help you be less anxious, so you can work on your people skills and fraternizing skills.

Meds are tools to help you. Use them. When you are done, then you dont need them anymore.

You already have a handle on what you are doing, so taking meds will just help you out with the hard stuff, until you get a handle on it.

As for interviewing people, cant you just ask for volunteers? That way YOU dont have to bug people to ask questions, you have THEM come to YOU. That way, it should be a little less stressful.

And yes, I have been on these meds myself, and they do work, if you get the right ones.

Meds may have to be regulated and changed, depending on how they work for you. But once you find the right ones............it can only help you out.

Thank you both for your response (especially the muffin video, even though it kinda creeped me out.. LOL).

@Rae, it's funny you mention writing, because that's really my own form of self therapy. I write often, whenever I can, and it does seem to help. Thanks for your suggestions Smile.

Tinkles -- Thanks for giving me your insight on medications, that's exactly what I need / wanted. I really think I will try them (if prescribed).. but only as tool while I work on bettering my people skills. I by no means want to stay on them for a long period of time. As for interviewing, that's a possibility. We can also, if appropriate, interview by email, so I'm REALLY hoping I can do that. Email is no problem, but sitting in a room with someone I don't know, asking them questions.. I would probably have a mini-heart attack or have my mind go blank and freak them out.

Either that or I'd probably need a few shots of something before I went in... and I doubt that would be a good idea Tongue

I will not comment on whether anti-anxiety medications work as everyone's brain chemistry is different, but I did want to urge you to do your own research into the side effects of anything your psychiatrist prescribes you before you begin taking it. Psychiatric medications are nothing to take lightly, they can have atrocious side effects (some of which are permanent) and are horrible to withdrawal from. My wife has spent the last year slowly getting off of a psychiatric medication that she never should have been prescribed, and it has been absolute hell. Also, because benzodiazepines are highly addictive (though tend to be very effective in treating anxiety) many psychiatrists choose to prescribe anti-psychotics off-label to treat anxiety. Tread with caution if this happens to you, but above all research, research, research!

Tyrion, anxiety medication works alright.

What does it do? Mainly inhibiting dopaminergic and cholinergic pathways and acting on GABA receptors which are mostly inhibitory through Cl- currents.

Now what does all this seeming witchcraft and dark arts mean? The physiological effects of anxiety are reduced.

I used to take for a short while some nice Clonazepam. Delightfull in numbing you up, really.

What meds DON'T do is taking away the CAUSE for your anxiety.

So, usually what is recommendable is that you do therapy along with meds, to help you overcome what causes you anxiety while you have the aid of meds to tone it down.

I get most of what you say. Up to this day I still have trouble looking people in the eye. Going out is dreadful to me. Almost unthinkable to go out on Holiday Frenzy days with all the crowd..last time I did it..oh well, you get the picture.

But you have 2 advantages to yourself. You have recongnized and acknowledged your problem and you are willing to work on it (which is something I never did, so kudos to you)

So, go for meds AND therapy, don't rely on each one individually. Make sure that what is prescribed to you has the least secondary effects for you and discuss with the therapist what is the appropriate dosis for you. Not everyone reacts the same to the same anti-anxiety med.

Well today I went in and signed up to do an "intake" so I can see a therapist. I couldn't get an appointment until the 29th. I guess it's good that I'm not suicidal or anything..lol..

I also started drawing for an art class today, and discovered that drawing (even though I kinda suck at it) is one of the most calming things ever. Totally loving my new class.. and may have just found a new form of self therapy besides writing Smile.

Anxiety medication isn't like aspirin, you won't feel relief in a few hours, more than likely you won't feel relief from anxiety for weeks or months as they will have to find the right medication and the right dose for you for maximum impact and minimum side effects of which one is suicidal thoughts...weird huh?

A good therapist will exhaust all therapeutic options before suggesting medicated relief, so if your therapist suggests medical relief up front, seek a second opinion.

Yes, you need help, but I believe a lot of anxiety can be worked on with good therapy and desensitising.

Good luck Wink