Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do anti-obesity advocates expect everyone to have a six pack?
Arkansota Wrote:I got sick of being from the Midwest and I wanted something different. Radically different.

So what did you do when you decided not to be a Midwesterner anymore? Did you write down "westerner" "Southerner" "Canadian" and perhaps even "Jamaican" and then randomly pick one, it said "Southerner" and you went with it, learning all you could AFTER this random choice had been made?

Or did you think "the South is better"? If so, then why?

Example of an answer: "I watched Song of the South over and over as a child and thought it seemed like so much fun so when I didn't get along with anyone from the Midwest I remembered that movie and decided I'd become a Southerner where people were more friendly."

Anti Obesity people just want others to be healthy.
Simple as that.

Guys.... I hate when I lose my cheesegrater and have to use my abs... ugh Tongue

Like someone above said, there is a difference between being a bit out of shape and being obese. I myself am a vegetarian and exercise almost daily, but I don't have a six pack and have no desire to do the over-the-top work required to maintain one (especially as I get closer to 40).

And while I think we do put too much emphasis on looking perfect (in both the gay and straight world), I don't know if I agree with pro-obesity advocacy. No one deserves to be ridiculed or discriminated against, and love/tolerance is always a good thing to spread around. But it isn't honest or healthy to pretend that extremely overweight people aren't putting themselves into an early grave. We have rightfully shamed smoking, but have to walk on eggshells when we discuss weight. I don't think that's good for us.

And I admit I get insulted when people lump the cause in with gay rights. I didn't choose to be gay, cannot change being gay, and being gay is not inherently unhealthy. None of that is true with regards to obesity.

My heart goes out to you if you struggle with this. I am a former smoker, so I know what it is like to have a difficult addiction (which is exactly what over eating is). I can sympathize, but I'm not going to pretend like you don't have a problem.

I am an anti-obesity follower, as well as anti-... underweight? whatever you want to call it.

While I try to stay healthy, I've never had a "6 pack" I've come very close, but it takes a lot of effort to maintain that level of low bodyfat. I stay in a median range.

BMI is a defunct indicator of health, even though it is still commonplace in the world. I don't count Arnie as a good example though because he sure did enjoy them roids. NATURAL body builders can still come close to extremely overweight.

My friend for example has been training for 12 years. He is currently sitting at 92kg and 5.2% bodyfat (202lbs). He has a BMI of 29 (30 is "obese).

I prefer VO2max and bodyfat as a "fitness" thing. What can you do in cardio? and what is your fat percentage. That is more important. (I also prefer the 2.4km run over shuttle runs, shuttle runs are much easier).

Overall for average health, I do like the 100cm rule for men by our government. Anything over 100cm in waistline was a BIG increase in cancer risks among other things for guys.