Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do family understand you?
Seriously everyone in my family say I'm shy (I feel like giving people a bitch slap when they call me it!) because I'm not shy, shy is lacking in confidence around people and I'm not!

Honestly I just dislike talking to family, mostly because they take the piss out of me so I feel as if I can't be myself around them!
So I avoid talking around them, their all sarcy so I'm sarcy around them taking the piss.

But its lapped over to friends and random people I meet it sucks, my charisma is shot to shit, and I have difficulty talking to people.

Anyone been through anything like this?

Any tips on getting out of it, I need them!!!!

I was brought up in a family which, on my father's side, has cultivated a devastatingly sarcastic sense of humour. As you've observed, other people don't get that kind of interaction and they don't like it.

It took me a long time to get out of the habit of making biting comments as a first retort, but I'm glad I made the effort in persisting. It wasn't easy. I think I was actually older than you before I recognised how hurt some people were by the things I thought I was saying in jest. These days when I meet up with that side of the family I find some of the banter quite unsettling, even shocking, but I prefer having that kind of response to the constant need to put others down.

I kinda have.....me family always supported me but we did have our rows too.
Probably I can share the fact of me having trouble when interactin with other people as u said. I have very much improved meself now but when I was a teen like, it was hell.
One advice I can give you is to believe in yourself very much.
Although we live a in a very hypocrite society, there are still people who wouldn't judge you for being yourself. Leave fears behind and start to show what you can do.
If you see you cross the lines, slow down and restart again.
Life may be too short but there are plenty of ppl to get to know and be friends with!.
It's not easy, but once you start thinkin about it, you'll deffo make sum progress and things will get easier Smile
It took me 4/5 yrs but hey! Wink

hope this helped a bit

rk x

Nope, my family doesn't really understand me, nor do I expect it. My family doesn't piss me off (except my mortal nemisis cousin), but they really have no clue about me. Not that I care, the only one who needs to understand me is me.

Anyway, you can either ignore it or avoid it. I tend to ignore it because its not a big deal to me. Hopefully you can find some resolve with your family.

Since i was 3yo i was labelled as being in a certain way i.e. 'the sensitive one' 'the intelligent' 'the weak one' and i didn't see myself like that but guess what ... after a while i became whatever people around me perceived me to be. I kick that off now and try to just be ME , is not easy to quit old habits but definitely worthwhile. I rarely listen to what others say/think about me , i have it as a rule.

On the other hand just to be fair others can know a few things about you by observing you but to really know you it should be you the one let them in and show them who you really are. When they jump in to conclusions remind them they cant know more than you know about yourself and ask them to stop...kick them on the knee if necessary lol

Ok, well, I do this thing where if people think I'm one way, I act that way around them. Most of my dad's side of the family think I'm a spoiled brat, so that's what I act like. That makes them like me even less, so, it works out well! Big Grin

I am pretty sure that I am adopted but no one will admit it...

I have zero in common with any member of my family.

My dad is the type to talk about the same thing over and over and over... he is ok but gets a bit tiring... My mom is the type to yell everything - cant stand that! My sis is OK. She is open to new ideas I bring to the table and will listen... She still doesnt get my analysis of some art, lol. Her hubby is NEVER gonna get anything...

Just love having my matey to talk hours and hours and hours every day... dont know what I did before he came into my life!!!