Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do my father know I'm gay!?
Aester,

Diffrent fathers do different things when it comes to their kids compared to what they allow in others.

My own father will be the first to tell anyone that he is tolerant and understanding. He reminds everyone he has black friends, gay friends, Jewish friends... yada yada yada.

He was unwilling (perhaps unable) to accept my brother and his 'husband' a big black man who was nicknamed Bear. A great guy, my father hated him. Sure not openly, but the hate was there. While my father could easily tell people 'I have gay friends and black friends' he was unable to tell people, "I have a gay son who dates a black man."

He was unwilling to accept me when I came out of the closet, and he blamed my brother and his 'n****'... so much for tolerance!

My partners father was in the Navy, serving in WWII, and Korea, was an officer and a gentleman. He was a staunch republican and a highly conservative Catholic.

He never had a 'gay friend' and had a strong, though often not outspoken, opinion about homosexuals and various other 'Catholic Issues'. when my partner came out to his parents his father paused for a moment, then reached out and gave him a huge hug.

The 'gay thing' was not an issue, what mattered most to my partner's father was that my partner was first and foremost and most importantly his son.

This is the same man who all but legally adopted me. He ended up replacing my own father in many ways.

So it is really hard to say what a person will do when it comes to their own kid.